AMD Catalyst 12.12 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
    anyone else having catalyst say that its version 12.9 after installing? I tried the old trick of stopping x and deleting /etc/ati/amdpcsdb and then restarting X, but that didn't work. Tried installing it again, that didn't work either. Its weird since before this I was on 12.11 beta and before that I was on 12.10
    Same bug for me, but this new official AMD drivers version is working better for me than the last beta.

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
      Same bug for me, but this new official AMD drivers version is working better for me than the last beta.
      its working about the same as the last beta for me, so I'm not complaining, can't be upset with latest catalyst releases...I never thought I would say that

Comment

12.9 was wrongly written in their amdpcsdb.default. You can write in whatever you want (when xserver is stopped) :-)

btw. check the module version via dmesg and compare to 12.11b11 you will find that it is one month _older_

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          Can you help me select a case ?
          I need to know how tall is the top of the stock cooler in relation to the MB surface...

TIA,
          AJSB
          It's pretty short. The FM2 socket uses the same OEM heatsink as the old AM2/AM3 sockets. There are two OEM heatsinks that are popular - one plain aluminum, and one with copper heatpipes. The a10-5800k comes with the smaller plain aluminum heatsink. I can take a ruler to it later if you can't find out online, but it's really small.

My FM2 setup is currently in a Silverstone FT-03 mini case. My old Phenom II x2, which used the same heatsink, was in a Silverstone SG05. There is plenty of clearance in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
            It's pretty short. The FM2 socket uses the same OEM heatsink as the old AM2/AM3 sockets. There are two OEM heatsinks that are popular - one plain aluminum, and one with copper heatpipes. The a10-5800k comes with the smaller plain aluminum heatsink. I can take a ruler to it later if you can't find out online, but it's really small.

My FM2 setup is currently in a Silverstone FT-03 mini case. My old Phenom II x2, which used the same heatsink, was in a Silverstone SG05. There is plenty of clearance in both cases.
            I really appreciate that you measure the stock heatsink....i tried a lot to find the info online but didn't find it

The only info that i found was about the one with heatpipes, but if even the 100W 5800K comes with the plain alu one, that's the one i need to know...

TIA,
            AJSB
            Last edited by AJSB; 14 December 2012, 04:32 AM.

Comment

From the version that driver must be similar to 12.11 beta (initial). When you want to reset the /etc/ati/amdpcsdb you should stop the dm and then:
              Code:
              rmmod fglrx
              This is a simple test if it was really stopped as sometimes it just hangs - then deleting does not work.

Comment

@Kano:

The version is reset to what is in amdpcsdb.default and here the new driver writes: 12.9 - so this won't work.

Comment

I don't have got the problem, i use my gfxdetect code, whenever it detects a gfx card change the amdpcsdb is deleted. I can "force" a change as well - all the cool things are for kanotix

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    I really appreciate that you measure the stock heatsink....i tried a lot to find the info online but didn't find it

The only info that i found was about the one with heatpipes, but if even the 100W 5800K comes with the plain alu one, that's the one i need to know...

TIA,
                    AJSB
                    OK, just measured it. From the motherboard to the top of the fan, it's about 58mm. Of course you'll need a little space above that for airflow.

On another note, I just tested out the 12.12 release, and it seems the same or slightly worse than 12.11 beta 11. Somebody mentioned that it might be the same or older code, but I haven't had time to look into it more.

Comment

Thanks for the measures !

I already decided the case and majority of details

Comment

Working...
                      X