AMD "Hawaii" Open-Source GPU Acceleration Still Not Working Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
    So I seen this news and it's message I can read: hey AMD, fix this! Unfortunately fanboys fail to see this and only see some "Nvidia trolls".
    It's hard to see the first 2 posts here as anything other than trolls.

But, Catalyst isn't a piece of OpenGL support crap?
    get a refund and buy nvidia
    Are we supposed to take something useful out of that? Because i sure can't.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Volcanic Islands hasn't come out yet, that's the next gen.
      Hell. Why do every press site call 290 as "Volcanic Islands" then?

Comment

It's hard to see the first 2 posts here as anything other than trolls.
        Are we supposed to take something useful out of that? Because i sure can't.
        Clearly useless posts, but I'm AMD and open source drivers user and I can't argue with fact that Catalyst is crap.

Statement like "both latest amd and nvidia cards work *now* with their blobs." aren't true and it's what I posted about above. 290 and 290X is waste of money with Catalyst on Linux because performance is unacceptable low compared to Windows driver.

PS: And yeah I'm really confused about GPU generation naming/versioning...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Of course that is somehow priority excuse because it does not work stright away , i don't believe in that (about numbers) story at all in the matter "chip can't work" and that is because of numbers... i mean that is funny to say and even more funnier who believe at that .

It would work stright away, if it was no problem to implement right . Simply, devs still does not know why it does not work . Until someone figured out why .
          I've got every other revision of the GCN GPUs running on the OSS stack without issue, with OpenGL3.3 working, full video playback acceleration etc. Everything from the HD8210 on up to the 280. So tell me, what game with a proper port on Linux that is out today needs anythin faster then the 280? 4K doesn't work on Linux at all and lower end GPUs already handle 1920x1200 perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            So tell me, what game with a proper port on Linux that is out today needs anythin faster then the 280?
            Planetary Annihilation not yet fully optimized, but pretty demanding game.
            Likely it's most RAM/GPU/VRAM demanding native game on Linux at moment.

It's my main interest and it's why I looking for upgrade to some high-end GPU...

Comment

Clearly useless posts, but I'm AMD and open source drivers user and I can't argue with fact that Catalyst is crap.

Statement like "both latest amd and nvidia cards work *now* with their blobs." aren't true and it's what I posted about above. 290 and 290X is waste of money with Catalyst on Linux because performance is unacceptable low compared to Windows driver.

PS: And yeah I'm really confused about GPU generation naming/versioning...
              well the problem or the root of the misunderstanding is that actually both are right to some extent. I mean catalyst work really good for some people and is utterlly unusable in other and is absolutely random at it, in my case for example HD7700:

* XVBA is absolutely broken, i if ever got an image it hard locked the whole GPU
              * OpenCL hard lock the GPU like clockwork
              * OpenGL 3.3 apps worked fine tho
              * OpenGL 4+ never worked for me, any example or tutorial or sample code from any source just render garbage or sigsegv or is horribly slow
              * Wayland dont work, Kernel upgrade take ages, Xorg ABI update require divine intervertion
              * DPM works fine
              * Random Xorg crashes
              * Worst support in the entire hardware industry(don't come with you report it wrong bs, no matter where you create the bug report the don't give a shit unless a big studio gets affected)

In resume i hate the guts of that piece of shit but some people with different hardware got it working "fine", on the other hand RadeonSI is almost there

* VDPAU work flawlessly
              * OpenCL is starting to work and if it fails just sigsegv but never ever hardlock the GPU
              * OpenGL 3.3 is almost perfect everywhere(git code)
              * OpenGL 4+ haven't tested but is getting very close(i suspect it will jump to 4.3 directly once tessalation and GLSL5 gets done)
              * Awesome wayland, always up to date
              * DPM works awesome
              * Hard rock stable 99.99% of the time(llvm svn sometimes get broken)
              * Awesome support (ofc some really hard to debug issues around but mostly really good)
              * Issues with very high end GPUs

so in my case fglrx don't exist but if your hardware work correctly with both well you are one of the lucky ones and you can use fglrx until RadeonSI catches up with the features you need but don't assume since it works in your case that is the same for the majority of users since the truth you landed in the very very lucky minority

Note: part of this post is expressing that your post is right and the other is for the OP that believes we all are in the same boat as he is when that is plainly wrong

Comment

Hell. Why do every press site call 290 as "Volcanic Islands" then?
                Looks like i was wrong. Sea Islands were the 8xxx series, and all just rebranded 7xxx series Southern Islands. In my defense, I don't think I ever actually saw much of the 8xxx series. I think they were mostly OEM only. Completely forgot them.

7790/260/290 was Volcanic.

Pirates is up next.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 22 July 2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Looks like i was wrong. Sea Islands were the 8xxx series, and all just rebranded 7xxx series Southern Islands. In my defense, I don't think I ever actually saw much of the 8xxx series. I think they were mostly OEM only. Completely forgot them.

7790/260/290 was Volcanic.

Pirates is up next.
                  This link, http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Rad...ture/#index5h2, by the way, lists them as i had initially - with 7790/260/290 as Sea Islands. So apparently no one can keep all the code names straight.

Comment

No myth!

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                    So much for the myth that releasing hardware documentation means open source drivers will appear out of nowhere. Did you think the drivers will write themselves?
                    Could be that you're biased by your nvidia experience. On the AMD side these drivers *do* appear out of nowhere. Last weekend the radeonsi drivers appeared in debian/testing. So much for your myth. Before that, you could compile the drivers yourself. It's now a couple of weeks and these drivers will be *stable*. (By the way they run great)
                    Last edited by lowflyer; 22 July 2014, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Multiple hardware-related websites reported that R7 260X is a rebranded 7790 with unlocked audio part (TrueAudio). Fake?

PS: They also have mostly the same result in benchmarks too.
                      7790 and R7 260X have pretty the same codename (Bonaire XT and Bonaire XTX), they have exactly the same spec except 260X is slightly overclocked (+100 MHz GPU, +125 MHz VRAM).

And both have TrueAudio (the 7790 is the only one having TrueAudio in the 7000 series).
                      I don't know about Mantle support on the 7790.

Note that the 7790 is supposed to be GCN 1.0 while 260X is supposed to be GCN 1.1 which is quite contradictory with the above information... Maybe the 7790 was like a GCN 1.1 prototype... The 7790 was released 14 months after the first 7000 series cards and only 7 months before the first 200 series cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X