Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depixelization

I found this http://www.geekologie.com/2011/05/da...puter-algo.php

Two researchers are developing an algorithm designed specifically to 'de-pixelize' 8-bit (and 16-bit) video game graphics in real-time into smoother, more flowing ones. This. changes. everything. No, no it doesn't -- but it does change the amount of time I'll spend playing NES games on an emulator while I'm supposed to be working.
    also cited here http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21017

Maybe this technique could be used at a low level (X and/or Wayland), too? What do you think? Would the performance hit be too great? Would anyone like to use it? Would there be too many errors to be useful?

I'm pretty sure that isn't suitable for applying to a whole display, whether or not you like the effect. If it doesn't know where the edges of objects are, how does it avoid blending objects into their backgrounds and making a total mess?

Comment

"Two researchers -- Johannes Kopf from Microsoft, and Dani Lischinski from The Hebrew University -- have successfully created an algorithm that depixelizes and upscales low-resolution 8-bit "pixel art" into lush vector graphics."

"While the researchers' conclusion admits that the algorithm is computationally complex, some optimization could eventually lead to emulator that can upscale our our favorite retro games in real time."

Ah, yes. Microsoft. MAME has been doing this for over a decade, and now a MS "researcher" thinks he's just invented realtime upscaling of graphics. I bet they'll also fill a patent claim for their "invention". I get the irresistible urge to shoot a bunny...

Comment

That looks terrible. The existing filters only work well on very few games, and it really depends on the specific art style that is used. This doesn't make sense for a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Ah, yes. Microsoft. MAME has been doing this for over a decade, and now a MS "researcher" thinks he's just invented realtime upscaling of graphics.
          Because surely this algorithm is exactly the same as MAME's... right?

I bet they'll also fill a patent claim for their "invention".
          Unfortunately, you're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            Because surely this algorithm is exactly the same as MAME's... right?
            Because surely this algorithm "could eventually lead to emulators that can upscale our favorite retro games in real time" and MAME isn't an emulator and doesn't upscale and doesn't even exist... right?

Comment

Working...
            X