Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwnCloud 6 To Ship With Many New Features

Phoronix: OwnCloud 6 To Ship With Many New Features

OwnCloud, the open-source private cloud storage service, is preparing to make a huge step forward with its upcoming version six release. OwnCloud 6 Alpha 1 was released today and with it comes many new end-user features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

awesome, Im looking forward to this. I use this as my personal dropbox and I really like it, except the current problem with conflict handling, so if they get that part working I will exclusively use owncloud. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Looks like it's time to take this further than the experimental phase and move as much as I can from Google to ownCloud. I have two decent towers just laying around waiting to be used for something.

Of course, that's not very responsible from a power usage perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
        Looks like it's time to take this further than the experimental phase and move as much as I can from Google to ownCloud. I have two decent towers just laying around waiting to be used for something.

I have moved my calendar, cloud files, and phone contacts to an ownCloud server in my home, I'm also using DuckDuckGo. I will soon setup a Firefox Sync server too. Then I just need an alternative to GMail and I'm officially Google-free.

Comment

I want to use it, but getting a static IP address with my ISP isn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            DynDNS style approach not your kind of thing?
            Hi

Comment

I cant really use OwnCloud at the moment for lack of a properly supported multi-volume mount option. There are simple hacks, but it really should be a fundamental feature of a 'cloud' system and for some quirky personal reason, this bugs me.

Or it's just not obvious in any of the options in OwnCloud.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                I have two decent towers just laying around waiting to be used for something.

You could also use a Raspberry Pi for Owncloud.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  As mentioned, just get a dyndns account and problem solved, this is exactly how i run mine.

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  I have moved my calendar, cloud files, and phone contacts to an ownCloud server in my home, I'm also using DuckDuckGo. I will soon setup a Firefox Sync server too. Then I just need an alternative to GMail and I'm officially Google-free.
                  Thats gonna be easy then, buy a cheap domain name and run postfix and dovecot.

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  I cant really use OwnCloud at the moment for lack of a properly supported multi-volume mount option. There are simple hacks, but it really should be a fundamental feature of a 'cloud' system and for some quirky personal reason, this bugs me.

Or it's just not obvious in any of the options in OwnCloud.
                  Can you explain what you mean exactly? What are you trying to accomplish?

Also in case anyone is wondering, owncloud works well in KVM, this is how I run mine.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                    Thats gonna be easy then, buy a cheap domain name and run postfix and dovecot.
                    Which can be a bitch to set up, especially for a newbie. Google searches are your friend and your enemy -- the web is littered with outdated how-to guides for this kind of thing.

The first time I built a mail server, it was on a Ubuntu box. Installing the packages mail-stack-delivery and amavisd-new-postfix took care of the basics. But adding RoundCube, Fail2ban, Policyd, and DKIM involved a lot of their own manual configuration, which ultimately meant not much time saved.

When the little laptop running all that croaked, I built a new machine and this time just went straight Debian 7. Then I installed iRedMail -- basically a script that sets up everything you need for a functioning and properly-secured mail server. It's a big time-saver and helps you avoid accidentally misconfiguring all the various bits. Can't recommend it enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X