Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AGP PCI-E Issues (Rialto chip) No Interupt (IRQ) assigned, Poor performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the same errors in dmesg and xorg.0.log. glxgears runs at 5k+ FPS, but performance in games is nowhere near expected results.

Comment

Originally posted by IrradeoActive View Post
      Thanks Crunchy, it works! I'm getting several thousand rather than several hundred in fgl_/glxgears, and the opengl screen savers have much better fps. But when I try running Beryl, the cube-sides are white and my machine locks if I try the 3-finger Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc escape from X.

I tried "AGPSize" and "GARTSize" xorg.conf device options to no effect, got log warnings that they're "not used". So I googled around and discovered my bios has a hidden Cntrl-F1 for a menu with AGP aperture settings! I'd like to NEMP the ass of the moron that hid that menu. Had other settings too.

I found wikipedia articles for all the basic, obscure X acronyms, AGP & GART.

I still get that interrupt error though. Is that why my card locks when I try to leave X? What's the interrupt for? Does not caching cause a performance loss?
      Your hardware basically always needs an interrupt.

The quick n dirty explanation, your CPU has 16 (nowadays they 'fake'/emulate more, but deep down it still only has 16) interrupts. Whenever an interrupt is triggerd by a hardware (there's also software interrupts fyi) the CPU stops doing whatever it was, let say playing that youtube video, and let's the hardware that called that interrupt do it's work. For example if your sound card's buffer to playback is empty, it'll send an interrupt, if you hit a button on your keyboard, an interrupt is triggerd. Your cpu then as mentioned immediatly drops everything else, and listens to your keyboard.

Your videocard not having an interrupt makes it really slow, as the card doesn't get serviced whenever it needs to.

My card worked fine, but performance was horribly choppy. Not nice n smooth with a high framerate, mediocre and very low framerates mixed with just loads of stalling really. Think of a badly tuned engine in a car.

Since this problem was introduced with the 'new' 7.x codebase (let's just call it that) it's hopefully something that will get fixed, once the ATi/AMD devs realize what's going on. Until So all we can do is keep this topic hot, and hope someone of some importance notices it.

ATi Devs, my e-mail addy was forwarded to you so I could be a beta tester, i'm still offering to test them drivers.

I can only imagine how pretty ET:QW is gonna look on anything other then ultra low @ 800x600

Comment

So far this problem seems to show up on NForce and Via chipsets only. If anyone is seeing this problem with any OTHER chipsets please post back here.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
          The quick n dirty explanation
          Your videocard not having an interrupt makes it really slow, as the card doesn't get serviced whenever it needs to.

My card worked fine, but performance was horribly choppy. Not nice n smooth with a high framerate, mediocre and very low framerates mixed with just loads of stalling really.
          it's hopefully something that will get fixed, once the ATi/AMD devs realize what's going on. Until So all we can do is keep this topic hot, and hope someone of some importance notices it.
          I tried playing a DVD and found it was indeed choppy. Another PCLinOS install on the same system using Mesa & not ATI-DRI, was much better, X11/Xshm driver, the CPU load 1/2 without dropped frames.

Perhaps it would help if I/we complained to someone at ATI/AMD? I didn't bother contacting their customer service, my experience is I usually know more than whoever I talk to, becuase I find places like this with experts.

I've hacked plenty of stuff, the first being an 8086 single-board computer & monitor program in college (circa 1987), the latest cracking and putting USB ports on a few CVS's "single-use" cameras . I know what interrupts are, but I'm a newbee with X and Radeon video cards, which I gather they are quite secretive about. And I don't want to know anyways, just get the damn thing to work.

Comment

Originally posted by IrradeoActive View Post
            I tried playing a DVD and found it was indeed choppy. Another PCLinOS install on the same system using Mesa & not ATI-DRI, was much better, X11/Xshm driver, the CPU load 1/2 without dropped frames.

Perhaps it would help if I/we complained to someone at ATI/AMD? I didn't bother contacting their customer service, my experience is I usually know more than whoever I talk to, becuase I find places like this with experts.

I've hacked plenty of stuff, the first being an 8086 single-board computer & monitor program in college (circa 1987), the latest cracking and putting USB ports on a few CVS's "single-use" cameras . I know what interrupts are, but I'm a newbee with X and Radeon video cards, which I gather they are quite secretive about. And I don't want to know anyways, just get the damn thing to work.
            I hope i haven't offended you i just assumed the worst?

Eitherway, all we can do is keep this topic hot

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
              I hope i haven't offended you i just assumed the worst?
              No worries. This all helps. Well, the abuse doesn't actually help, but...
              Test signature

Comment

Hi,
                I have Saphire radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP 512Mb and I have the same error on intel chipset.

Comment

Same problem

I also have an identical problem here with an AGP X1950 512mb on a VIA based mb.

At the moment im using 8.42.3 but i get nothing but a black screen instead of 3D. On a previous ubuntu install on same machine, 42.3 did work (no blackness) but was incredibly slow + choppy with compiz enabled.
                  37.6 and 40.4 were similarly slow - avg. 7fps in Nexuiz timedemo, and constant fps warnings in gl-117. I was unaware of the interrupt problem at the time though.

Will try 8.34 asap if you say thats good. NEED GAMES

Interestingly, saw another guy [BruderB] with same problem too, http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...t=5947&page=52 and [givemesugarr] gave a solution, but i had no luck following it

What do ya think?

Moe

Comment

Originally posted by nonamo
                    I also have an identical problem here with an AGP X1950 512mb on a VIA based mb.

At the moment im using 8.42.3 but i get nothing but a black screen instead of 3D. On a previous ubuntu install on same machine, 42.3 did work (no blackness) but was incredibly slow + choppy with compiz enabled.
                    37.6 and 40.4 were similarly slow - avg. 7fps in Nexuiz timedemo, and constant fps warnings in gl-117. I was unaware of the interrupt problem at the time though.

Will try 8.34 asap if you say thats good. NEED GAMES

Interestingly, saw another guy [BruderB] with same problem too, http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...t=5947&page=52 and [givemesugarr] gave a solution, but i had no luck following it

What do ya think?

Moe
                    You can get rid of the black screen problem by setting your AGP Aperture in the BIOS to 256MB or more.

I've been testing all the recent drivers and 8.34.8 and 8.35.5 work on my x1950 Pro AGP. The 8.34.8 set a high virtual desktop so for that reason I'd recommend the 8.35.5. The driver treats my card correctly as AGP. The peformance is OK no where what it should be but at least the driver works!

8.35.5 supports up to kernel 2.6.22 and Xorg 7.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                      You can get rid of the black screen problem by setting your AGP Aperture in the BIOS to 256MB or more.
                      It is at 256MB at the moment - and its still black!

Will try and get hold of 35.5, wonder if i can find a .deb [me -> google]

Moe

Comment

Working...
                      X