Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCW Zero Starts Seeing New Game Releases

Phoronix: GCW Zero Starts Seeing New Game Releases

The Kickstarter-funded GCW Zero open-source gaming handheld console is finally starting to see more games out there for those that backed the device last year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This totally went under my radar. Looks interesting, but I think I'll wait for the Pyra.

Comment

It went under your radar because the Kickstarter was mismanaged, many backers still haven't had their devices shipped.

Comment

Kinda unfortunate that 320x240 resolution, would have been good to have at least double that.

Comment

I don't see how this is claimed to be 'a bit like the Pandora console' - the latter is explicitly designed to function as a mini-laptop rather than a pure gaming device, with a proper QWERTY keyboard, and has a much better screen and about the same specs otherwise despite being a six-year-old design.

Bring on the Pyra!

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Kinda unfortunate that 320x240 resolution, would have been good to have at least double that.
          Get a Pyra when it's released next spring, either 720p or 1080p screen depending on final choice of manufacturer.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this hardware was meant for emulation of older consoles, hence the use of the MIPS architecture and low resolution of the display (to make the GCW similar to older consoles and the TVs of those older consoles' time). These new games seem more like a "plus" to having the GCW Zero than a reason to go buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              I'm pretty sure this hardware was meant for emulation of older consoles, hence the use of the MIPS architecture and low resolution of the display (to make the GCW similar to older consoles and the TVs of those older consoles' time). These new games seem more like a "plus" to having the GCW Zero than a reason to go buy it.
              That was exactly the reason given on the Kickstarter page for the low screen resolution.

As one of the backers, I can confirm that there were many things going wrong with the Kickstarter project, some caused by human error, many caused by force majeure. In the end the project leader (who at some point really had bigger problems than the delays of the Kickstarter project...) ended up not only re-flashing all devices, but also packaging and shipping them by himself. I had to wait for more than a year after the predicted shipment date until my device finally arrived. Nevertheless I don't regret backing the project, because my girlfriend and I are both playing with the GCW Zero more or less regularly. We mostly play emulated videogame classics, but I've also spent hours playing The Ur-Quan Masters, Kobo Deluxe, and other ported open source games.

I'm also very happy with the GCW Zero SDK. Recompiling UQM for the GCW Zero was really easy, (as was editing the game to match the porting guidelines - thanks to the UQM developers).

After all, I can fully recommend the GCW Zero, and since it is now available at several resellers which (at least when I checked last) still have units in stock, the waiting time until it gets shipped should be reasonable low.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                Get a Pyra when it's released next spring, either 720p or 1080p screen depending on final choice of manufacturer.
                Next spring? I must have missed the announcement on that "date" ...
                Good to know, gonna get some money ready for that

Comment

This Pyra thingy will have a PowerVR GPU, not so interesting (if you are not into blobs).

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    This Pyra thingy will have a PowerVR GPU, not so interesting (if you are not into blobs).
                    It does have a Vivante 2D accelerator which can hopefully be used with open drivers.
                    If you want the system for something else than games, as I do, that may be sufficient.

Also, there was at some point talk about making an arrangement with AMD to get one of their upcoming ARM systems, where you would use Radeons.
                    If this goes through, that would be a second generation of Pyras (maybe even a cheaper PCB replacement for the DIY folks?).

Comment

Working...
                    X