NTFS-3G Merges With NTFSprogs, Plus New Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Red Hat has its reason to avoid shipping it. However EPEL project does include ntfs-3g and it is quite a popular repository

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

I wouldn't use EL without it.
    Truthfully don't care what ever the reason was. It was still a pain in the ass.

Comment

It was a big enough pain in the ass that it caused me to switch back to SuSE way back then and stay with SuSE.

Comment

NTFS-3G and EPEL

Regardless of whether individual users care about it or not, it is reality just as much as EL doesn't include MP3 codecs or a dvd player or whatever. Either there are legal issues or there isn't enough customer demand to justify inclusion or any number of other reasons.

All I can say is that if you are a EL user who falls into the category of people who need ntfs access, you probably want to take advantage of a ready to use repo like EPEL. Other than ntfs-3g, that repo provides quite a number of packages which are useful. The following is certainly far more trivial than switching distros.

yum install http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...5-4.noarch.rpm
        yum install ntfs-3g

Comment

Other than ntfs-3g, that repo provides quite a number of packages which are useful. The following is certainly far more trivial than switching distros.

yum install http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...5-4.noarch.rpm
          yum install ntfs-3g
          Just using another distro doesn't even require that. IIRC RH 7 didn't even use yum in those days.

Comment

Red Hat Linux 7 hasn't been relevant for years and years now. If we go back far enough, we can find Red Hat Linux without RPM as well. I was talking about current distros. If you are a person willing to switch distros rather than run a couple of commands, be my guest and have fun!

Comment

Red Hat Linux 7 hasn't been relevant for years and years now. If we go back far enough, we can find Red Hat Linux without RPM as well. I was talking about current distros. If you are a person willing to switch distros rather than run a couple of commands, be my guest and have fun!
              That's the thing, I switched once and have been happy ever since instead of having to re-live a peeve on a constant basis.

Comment

Enterprise Linux distros don't do upgrades that often and this is no constant peeve at all. RHEL for instance has 7 to 10 years of updates and gets new releases every few years and when customers do upgrade which is rarely they have bigger things to worry about than a extra package or two they need to install. RHN Satellite and kickstart can do this and more with ease across thousands of systems. They worry more about hardware or software certification, compatibility with custom apps, security, performance etc. In other words, for the target market of Red Hat, this isn't a problem.

If on the other hand, you are talking about Fedora, it does come with NTFS-3g by default.

Comment

Enterprise Linux distros don't do upgrades that often and this is no constant peeve at all. RHEL for instance has 7 to 10 years of updates and gets new releases every few years and when customers do upgrade which is rarely they have bigger things to worry about than a extra package or two they need to install. RHN Satellite and kickstart can do this and more with ease across thousands of systems. They worry more about hardware or software certification, compatibility with custom apps, security, performance etc. In other words, for the target market of Red Hat, this isn't a problem.
                  If I worried about all of that I'd be using (and do for that usage) SLES/SLED instead in those scenarios.

If on the other hand, you are talking about Fedora, it does come with NTFS-3g by default.
                  Again my original comment was referring to RH when it wasn't just a enterprise solution but also serviced the regular user as well.

Comment

Hi

Yes, it become clear to me in the course of the discussion that you are talking about an old situation and not a current one. It's natural to assume in the absence of further clarification that "Red Hat" refers to RHEL and not RHL any longer. Not a relevant or interesting discussion for me to talk about RHL. So I will stop here

Comment

RHL.. that brings back terrible memories of wrestling with a wireless driver (realtek 8180) that was part open and part binary, and only built for RHL 8.0. I so wanted to use Mandrake, but no internet was a deal breaker. That sent me back to Windows for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                      X