FreeBSD 8.0 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    I just hope this finally shuts up the 'freebsd is faster than linux' crowd. They told that lie until Felix von Leitner tested the BSDs againat 2.6.0 - and they got ass raped. Whine, whine, not fair they complained. True - since Felix did everything in their favour.

But shortly afterwards the idiotic stuff started again....

and again....

and again...

no matter that almost all tests show that linux is superior....
    What's wrong with you? The test is flawed.

Comment

I love it.

Quality pamperment!

Comment

Originally posted by Dummy00001 View Post
        Well, Phoronix is a Linux centric site. What did you expect?

Also this is a benchmark - not a test nor a real life experience.
        Well, that's no excuse. The benchmark is still completely useless. I *do* expect of them to do another run after both OSes are released.

Comment

Originally posted by clau View Post
          Well, that's no excuse. The benchmark is still completely useless. I *do* expect of them to do another run after both OSes are released.
          As has been said, such will be done for the large OS comparison.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

no matter that almost all tests show that linux is superior....
            This particular benchmark is about as useless as pitting to sports cars together but having one pulling a truck of computer equipment behind it plugged in to every diagnostic port on it.

It doesn't show FreeBSD is slower than Linux, all it is is utterly pointless. RCs of most OSs (Ubuntu is a bit of an exception here rather than the norm) have so many debug flags and stuff set which use so much CPU time that it's stupid to benchmark it.

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
              What's wrong with you? The test is flawed.
              why? FreeBSD has debug on?

AFAIK Ubuntu prerelase too. So the test is valid.

But that does not change the fact that FreeBSD looses even when only comparing releases. So either way, FreeBSD looses.

Comment

Originally posted by Garp View Post
                This particular benchmark is about as useless as pitting to sports cars together but having one pulling a truck of computer equipment behind it plugged in to every diagnostic port on it.

It doesn't show FreeBSD is slower than Linux, all it is is utterly pointless. RCs of most OSs (Ubuntu is a bit of an exception here rather than the norm) have so many debug flags and stuff set which use so much CPU time that it's stupid to benchmark it.

yeah, FreeBSD the truck. More like, FreeBSD the broken bicycle.

Comment

I don't think FreeBSD should be compared with Ubuntu. It's not fair for Linux since Ubuntu is a desktop distro, not the first choice for servers and workstations.

Comment

http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/bench.html

yeah, FreeBSD the truck. More like, FreeBSD the broken bicycle.
                    Uhm, that's 2006, and FreeBSD 6.x. You clearly don't know much about FreeBSD.
                    FreeBSD went through huge changes in the design in 5.x, which made it actually slower than 4.x, AFAIR. But, since then it was improved constantly, with each release.

This is a more recent benchmark, targeted on the SMP code:

It is mostly a benchmark of FreeBSD versions and DragonflyBSD, but Linux kernels were used too. Now, that particular Linux kernel is rather old, so I expect some changes in newer releases, but still I hope it will shut you up for now.

I honestly expect better results from 8.0 RELEASE, compared to 7.2 RELEASE, knowing how careful the guys from FreeBSD are with the releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      As has been said, such will be done for the large OS comparison.
                      I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X