Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau DRM Getting Pulled Into Lucid Soon

Phoronix: Nouveau DRM Getting Pulled Into Lucid Soon

A week ago we found out that Nouveau would be pulled into Ubuntu 10.04 as the default NVIDIA graphics driver replacing the current open-source NVIDIA driver mess that is known as xf86-video-nv. The Nouveau driver stack isn't stable or officially released yet, but the 2D portion is in good standing and the 3D portion written to use Gallium3D is progressing (recent status update)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The last line in the article say:
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    expect some Nouveau DRM code to get pulled in shortly so that it will be present for Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 1.
    But I think you meant "Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1".

Good to hear Nouveau is already good to ship. Shame on nVidia for not collaborating with this community effort.

Comment

Not what I'd expect from Ubuntu

This is the kind of decision I'd expect from Fedora. I'm very pleased that the people at Canonical are going to include the DRM code from nouveau, especially in an LTS release. To me it is reminiscent of the inclusion of Firefox 3 beta in 8.04. Hopefully, the DRM will have progressed far enough to run compiz by the time of the final release. I look forward to KMS and compiz on nvidia hardware. As it is now, I choose between KMS on nouveau or compiz with the Nvidia binary blob. Here's to Ubuntu for exposing more users to nouveau.

Comment

Would be nice if nouveau gets at least a bit 3d for newer distros as nvidia does not update series 71 drivers for newer xservers. It makes it just a tiny bit more compilicated when you would switch to a binary driver for a still supported card. Can not verify however, my nvidia card is g92 based, don't think there will be much more than 2d.

Comment

They want to go for the 2.6.32 kernel? Come on, if they would go with 2.6.33 there would still be plenty of time before release to stabilize it. So it looks like the first thing I will do after installing Lucid will be getting the Linux 2.6.34 kernel from the mainline PPA.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckDriver View Post
            This is the kind of decision I'd expect from Fedora.
            I believe that Fedora already ship Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
              Of course, that's why Red Hat hired Ben Skeggs (nouveau developer).

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
                You are correct. You get KMS and Plymouth with nouveau, and it looks very nice while booting. 2D performance is excellent too. I can seamlessly switch to a VT and back to the desktop with no noise or flicker. The downside is that I cannot run compiz on nouveau. In order to do that, I must use the proprietary nvidia driver. Using that, I get a black screen with a blue and white progress bar at the bottom while starting up; functional yet as sophisticated as ncurses in a console. When GDM starts, I get a lot of clicking, thunking, clunking, and flashing (yes, I still have a CRT monitor). Once I log in, desktop effects are buttery smooth, glxgears has insane frame rates, and I get the benefit of VDPAU. If I want to switch to a virtual terminal, however, I get all the noise and flashing of switching modes.

Ubuntu is including the DRM code that, if mature enough, will be able to run compiz. If Ubuntu is shipping it in 10.04, I'm sure that we'll see nouveau DRM in Fedora 13 too. I'm just a little surprised that Ubuntu is taking the initiative. Very happy, too, because they have a huge installed base.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Would be nice if nouveau gets at least a bit 3d for newer distros as nvidia does not update series 71 drivers for newer xservers. It makes it just a tiny bit more compilicated when you would switch to a binary driver for a still supported card. Can not verify however, my nvidia card is g92 based, don't think there will be much more than 2d.
                  Actually, nv30 (Geforce FX) and newer chipsets are the only ones where 3D is at least somewhat working. For older cards there exists nothing remotely usable. And I don't think anybody currently works on 3D support for the chipsets obsoleted after 71 series.

Comment

You know what's weird, last night I had a dream where I was using my old 7900gs with nouveau. That was some funky stuff right there.

Comment

Working...
                    X