Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Way Desktop Comparison On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux

Phoronix: 8-Way Desktop Comparison On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux

Up this Saturday morning on Phoronix are some OpenGL/gaming performance benchmarks of eight different desktop environments currently available from the Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy Salamander" package archive when using Intel Core i7 "Haswell" graphics with the Linux 3.10 kernel and Mesa 9.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xfce ftw

I really like setting a Xfce-Desktop up for elderly people, as there are three factors which essentially rule out most other DE's:
    1. It's intuitive. I only need around 10 minutes to explain somebody who has been using Windows for 10 years how Xfce works. It's really handy!
    2. It has a low memory-footprint. It might not be as low as DWM, which I am using, but it is one of the best compared to other "normal" DE's
    3. It's well-extendable. It's really astonishing how great the xfce4-tools are. It is very easy to set a printer up or use ICC-color-correction, because there is only one central way of configuration, which I really like, and the tools are developed in-house.

Seeing it surpass the other contestants should show us all that benchmarking in one those DE's may be more precise and will definitely yield better results (as shown in the article). Who's with me?
    Last edited by frign; 22 June 2013, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      I really like setting a Xfce-Desktop up for elderly people, as there are three factors which essentially rule out most other DE's:
      1. It's intuitive. I only need around 10 minutes to explain somebody who has been using Windows for 10 years how Xfce works. It's really handy!
      2. It has a low memory-footprint. It might not be as low as DWM, which I am using, but it is one of the best compared to other "normal" DE's
      3. It's well-extendable. It's really astonishing how great the xfce4-tools are. It is very easy to set a printer up or use ICC-color-correction, because there is only one central way of configuration, which I really like, and the tools are developed in-house.

Seeing it surpass the other contestants should show us all that benchmarking in one those DE's may be more precise and will definitely yield better results (as shown in the article). Who's with me?
      +1, I think all game benchmarks should be done in a more lightweight DE than Unity (and with comositing off).

Comment

It would be nice to see some Enlightenment benchmarks. I wonder how good it is.

Comment

I guess if no one will say it I will. What in the hell is going on with Gnome and Kde to have this poor performance.Is this some kind of regression or Unity improved allot.Can someone comment on Kde 4.11 if they are running on Kubuntu or Suse.

Comment

I wonder how Cinnamon stacks up to standard gnome as it feels like one of the slowest around, personally I have always been using xfce on my laptop as it performs rather well and can be customized a lot.

Comment

yes

Gosh, I totally agree. It's so darn customizable too, you can rearrange it to your hearts content. And I see a lot of people complain about Gaming issues on KDE/Gnome/Unity obviously related to Compiz etc but in XFCE I have yet to have any issues. I wish more people would use XFCE, especially Linux Gamers. I've got mine set-up in old win98 style with the dock removed and the top bar on the bottom. "Menu-separator(handle)-custom launchers as a quick launch-separator(dots)-window buttons-separator(dots)-network monitor, notification area,weather update-separator(handle)-clock(LCD)"

It's clean and simple and stays out of my way. Theme: Appearance (Clearlooks) Window manager (Clearlooks-Xfce-Classic). But I usually use: Appearance (Shiki-brave) Window manager (classic-ambiance-orange-xfce-lxde)

Comment

Yeah, XFCE is very nice and easy to use. It does have a few big things missing by default though (proper pulseaudio support, and "proper" compositing that eliminates tearing). I use xubuntu which addresses the first issue (They use ubuntu's sound-indicator, re-wrote xfce4-volumed to support pulseaudio, and use pavucontrol as the mixer instead of xfce4-mixer). And for tear-free compositing I use compton.

My dads old windows laptop died so I gave him my spare asus u52f that was running xubuntu, and has all this set up already. He's had absolutely no issues using it so far, I've had less questions and problems from him than when he was using windows. I was quite happy with how fast he picked it up, coming from windows he was able to start using it with no explanation aside from telling him that he would use firefox instead of IE. My mother had no issue using it with no explanation either.
                Last edited by bwat47; 22 June 2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                  I wonder how Cinnamon stacks up to standard gnome as it feels like one of the slowest around, personally I have always been using xfce on my laptop as it performs rather well and can be customized a lot.
                  i want to see Cinnamon Mate and KDE Base

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    I see a lot of people complain about Gaming issues on KDE/Gnome/Unity obviously related to Compiz
                    Why would anyone use Compiz with KDE? These Ubuntuers are crazy!

Comment

Working...
                    X