Valve's Day of Defeat Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stqn View Post
    Nowadays games routinely use 1024?1024 textures, so I don?t think drawing one more polygon with a texture of such a size will affect the framerate as much as you believe it does (maybe someone who uses SDL2 can show us some numbers?). Also, the quality hit should not be different to the quality hit you get when your LCD monitor scales the picture by itself.
    It's not exactly the same thing....when a LCD monitor "scales" the image it doesn't "add pixels" (sorry but my natural language is not English and i'm sure i'm not explaining it right).

Comment

I'd better play Windows DRM free games with Wine, rather than encouraging Valve to continue their Steam DRM (even if it's minimal). It's not "as good as it gets". Humble Bundle gets better - no DRM at all. So Valve could ditch their DRM if they'd wanted to, but since they aren't interested, I think GOG should be a better offering. I wish they'd start selling Linux titles as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Steam isn't really a strong DRM. It's dead-easy to bypass. I'm not gonna mention here how, but you can install Steam, download the games and play them without paying (offline, since most online games have the DRM on the servers and they check your account when you connect.) But many single player games can be illegally downloaded like that.

Steam is really not some form of intrusive DRM. It's mostly comparable to the old days of games having a simple CD-check. If you're looking for DRM methods that trully deserve to be boycotted, you should really look elsewhere (hint: EA with the malware they install before you can play BF3.)
        I think I can determine what I choose to boycott on my own thanks. And one of the requirements I place on buying a game is that I should not have to do anything illegal to get the thing working the way I want it to considering I had legally purchased it.

Originally posted by Zeroedout View Post
        And Steam DRM is a real joke (as said earlier in the thread). It's for my idiot friends who are too dim to learn the location of games on their FS and copy over cracked files and too lazy to take 5 minutes searching Google for said crack/patch. But given a button that says 'Download free game, fuck the devs who put their time into it' they would in a heartbeat. It's difficult for geeks like us to comprehend such people . If I didn't know these people personally, I wouldn't have thought they existed. But they are out there and in very large numbers Shitty for society but great for capitalism :< And now good for Linux!
        I am not against DRM for self-serving interests (as you say, the people who want grab the games for free can still get them) but for the fact it imposes unfair restrictions on me the gamer. Again, see my previous point.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdalbum View Post
          Yes indeed, the Linux community really needs to stop making singleplayer FPSes, racing games, fighting games and sports sims; and instead focus our attention on the oft-neglected genre of "run around shooting other people in arenas". I mean, nobody EVER gets tired of that.
          Please refrain from bashing the existence of such games. Having plenty of games of one ilk does not stop other game titles from appearing.

Comment

Looks like CD Projekt Red (Witcher / Cyberpunk) might be interested in making their games for Steambox in the future, which means they'll work on Linux ports.

Within the first minute of our interview beginning, CD Projekt RED's MD and studio head Adam Badowski speaks a phrase w…

Adam Badowski: I think the Steambox will be awesome. Because Valve is a digital platform holder, the final contact with the customer will be as easy as possible. That's why we're looking forward to it. We're in contact with Steam, so we're going to be engaged in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Is there any way to buy these games for Linux outside Steam?
              For Valve's own games like Half-Life, Counter Strike and Day Of Defeat, no, the only way to get them is via Steam.

As for other companies games, some developers sell their games directly via their site. There are also competing game services for Linux that Larabel is too much of a dick to advertise for, these are Desura and Gameolith and both had over a year on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                As for other companies games, some developers sell their games directly via their site. There are also competing game services for Linux that Larabel is too much of a dick to advertise for, these are Desura and Gameolith and both had over a year on Steam.
                Thank you.

Comment

There's only one Valve game that I want and haven't bought yet; Left4Dead 2. I cannot wait for it to be released!

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    There's only one Valve game that I want and haven't bought yet; Left4Dead 2. I cannot wait for it to be released!
                    The Left4Dead games are %75 off right now this week, still got I think 4 days left to pick it up for just ~$5.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      Looks like CD Projekt Red (Witcher / Cyberpunk) might be interested in making their games for Steambox in the future, which means they'll work on Linux ports.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...a-our-strategy

That's excellent news !

Now i just which that Company of Heroes franchise was also ported to Linux and also World In Conflict : Soviet Assault ....personally i consider those two the best EVER RTS, YMMV.

(Yeah they work in WINE but there is a performance hit , so, i want Linux native damn it)

Comment

Working...
                      X