Open source crossfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open source crossfire?

Is there ever going to be open source crossfire support? I see it as "to do" on the site, but is there any reason AMD devs haven't helped on this? I'm getting tired of not having crossfire support because of flaws with the fglrx drivers. If the open source drivers had crossfire support, I'd have switched already, but I instead keep using fglrx in the hopes that one day I will be able to use my video cards to the fullest. I don't see that happening any time soon through fglrx.

Originally posted by Darksurf View Post
    Is there ever going to be open source crossfire support? I see it as "to do" on the site, but is there any reason AMD devs haven't helped on this? I'm getting tired of not having crossfire support because of flaws with the fglrx drivers. If the open source drivers had crossfire support, I'd have switched already, but I instead keep using fglrx in the hopes that one day I will be able to use my video cards to the fullest. I don't see that happening any time soon through fglrx.
    Crossfire/SLI is one of those things that has never worked great for any driver on Linux, let alone the FOSS ones. It would be nice for those that have the hardware, though.

Comment

Is there ever going to be open source crossfire support? I see it as "to do" on the site, but is there any reason AMD devs haven't helped on this?
      Answer on this is here:

So there just no demand for CFx so nobody working on it.

Comment

Well, there isn't even a bug report/feature request on https://bugs.freedesktop.org (I think it would be implemented in mesa, maybe with render nodes and/or dma-buf/prime, wouldn't it?)

I think you should report it as a bug, maybe with severity "enhancement", then it can at least be publicly tracked and people don't have to ask again and again in some forums.

edit:http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...514#post341514
        Last edited by ChrisXY; 26 February 2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Well, there isn't even a bug report/feature request on https://bugs.freedesktop.org (I think it would be implemented in mesa, maybe with render nodes and/or dma-buf/prime, wouldn't it?)
          I seriously don't see any reason to post such feature request because it's would looks exactly like feature request on something like Mantle or tessellation. E.g I'm really want to see CrossFire in open source drivers, but I don't think how bug report from 10-20 people might affect opinion of developers or AMD.

Comment

Awww thanks for quoting me, Chris, lol. But seriously, that page of comments and the next page is pretty interesting for those who like the details since I kept asking Alex questions in regards to Optimus and how Linux differs from Windows and things like that. OP might enjoy it
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This really bums me out!

I've got a custom Steam machine I'm building with AMD A10-7850K and a R7 250. I was hoping to crossfire this machine on steamOS! Linux Gaming is slowly picking up and Valve is releasing portal 2! I'm waiting to buy a portal bundle for linux! Please AMD, don't burn me on this. Valve is showing Linux gaming progress and I'm trying to jump on the band wagon. If crossfire shows no promise, I'll have to sell this machine off and go Intel+Nvidia which would practically kill me. I'm an AMD/ATI fanboy and have been for over 20 years. Those are the only machines and parts I've ever purchased. (yes even through the horrible Linux support ATI put me through! Rage cards were awful.)

One of the biggest reasons people are looking into the A10-7850K is for crossfire and gaming purposes! Otherwise they could get by using lower level APUs or higher level CPUs.

Comment

I've got a custom Steam machine I'm building with AMD A10-7850K and a R7 250. I was hoping to crossfire this machine on steamOS! Linux Gaming is slowly picking up and Valve is releasing portal 2! I'm waiting to buy a portal bundle for linux! Please AMD, don't burn me on this. Valve is showing Linux gaming progress and I'm trying to jump on the band wagon. If crossfire shows no promise, I'll have to sell this machine off and go Intel+Nvidia which would practically kill me. I'm an AMD/ATI fanboy and have been for over 20 years. Those are the only machines and parts I've ever purchased. (yes even through the horrible Linux support ATI put me through! Rage cards were awful.)

One of the biggest reasons people are looking into the A10-7850K is for crossfire and gaming purposes! Otherwise they could get by using lower level APUs or higher level CPUs.
                It probably won't perform that great, even on Windows. Regular Crossfire would be a nice feature to have, though. The FOSS driver might bottleneck things to much at this point to gain much performance, though.

Comment

Working...
                X