Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ HTML Back-End Merged For GTK+ 3.2

Phoronix: GTK+ HTML Back-End Merged For GTK+ 3.2

In November of last year we talked about an HTML5 back-end to GTK+ that allowed any GTK application to be then run from the web-browser. This work was not merged into GTK+ 3.0, but other work was, such as for supporting multiple GTK+ back-ends. Now though this HTML5 work is in a position to land with GTK+ 3.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

how is this useful at all?

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
      remoting stuff

Comment

Access your GUI apps remotely via a browser rather than X11 forwarding?

Comment

The video

It's quite strange, in the place of the video, I have a "Aww snap !" etc. It asks me to get a HTML5 compliant browser.
          I thought I was running minefield i.e. a beta of Firefox 4, which is as far as I know HTML5 <video> compliant if that is the problem.
          I suppose it is the same broken way of testing user-agent instead of supported features...

Comment

Run any gtk application directly from websites with no code change. It could, for example, replace java and flash for web applications (but the server would do all the work), or probably serve as a sort of VNC.

Besides that, it's pretty damn nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
              It's quite strange, in the place of the video, I have a "Aww snap !" etc. It asks me to get a HTML5 compliant browser.
              I thought I was running minefield i.e. a beta of Firefox 4, which is as far as I know HTML5 <video> compliant if that is the problem.
              I suppose it is the same broken way of testing user-agent instead of supported features...
              vimeo is not using webM so this might be a problem

Comment

This will be cool when they can pull this off: GDK_BACKEND=broadway gdm. Other than that I don't see much use in this, although it's very cool

Comment

One of the things that is not immediately obvious, and may not be supported (I am just guessing here) is that it will allow for disconnection and reconnection.

That is if your playing your music through something like totem or whatever then you should be able to start it up, close out the front end, and then come back to it later to change the music.

That is something you cannot do currently with X Windows.

For security you will probably want to stick you applications behind a Apache reverse proxy with SSL encryption and digest password logins.

Application:http://localhost:8081/index.html <---> Apache:https://remote.example.com:443/app_name.html <====SSL Encryption + Digest logins====> Client browser

That sort of thing.

Comment

It's also kinda awesome for creating webapps with GTK. I wonder if a gtkglext-WebGL mapping is feasible. And if it's possible to push custom javascript to the clientside.

Comment

Working...
                    X