Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.3.0 RC2 Brings Fewer Changes

Phoronix: KDE 4.3.0 RC2 Brings Fewer Changes

Just a week after the release of the KDE 4.3 release candidate, a second release candidate has emerged from the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit. KDE 4.3 Release Candidate 2 incorporates fewer changes than earlier development releases, as development winds down for the final release of KDE 4.3.0 later this month. The KDE 4.3.0 RC2 announcement can be read at KDE.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've built it, installed it. It still sucks, and there are no performance improvements.

Comment

If you dont have GPU accelerated desktop you will never see performance improvements, if you do, it is faster than gnome/gtk.

And just trolling wont help, what does "suck"?

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
        If you dont have GPU accelerated desktop you will never see performance improvements
        Of course I do, did you expect me to use QT on fbdev without Xorg? The quality of code sucks, it is ("mind-bogglingly slow") with huge footprint.

Comment

I use Qt on xfbdev (on netbook) and I get 4 time more FPS than GTK apps because Qt can redraw only part of the windows and instead of the whole screen like Gtk. Clutter can do that, but can't work on fbdev (but nobody care about fbdev anyway).

You just have to use xfbdev instead of fbdev (the port to fbdev is dead), it will load as fast, use as much memory and Qt will be 4 time faster than GTK.

But about the speed, just enable GPU windows drawing, if it is slower than gnome, then it is your fault, not KDE. If you talk about resize speed, it is because KDE3 and Gnome use an hack to send more redraw event to windows, Qt4 does not support the hack (but 4.6 will) making it seem slower, while it is only because the WM send less request.

Qt code quality is exelent, Object oriented code is cleaner than C (it is almost the only good point I can find to OOP). GTK/GnomeLib use some object oriented C, it is messy and hacky. Qt is not a UI toolkit, it is a programming framework with almost every feature you can expect from one.
          Last edited by Elv13; 09 July 2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
            I use Qt on xfbdev (on netbook) and I get 4 time more FPS than GTK apps because Qt can redraw only part of the windows and instead of the whole screen like Gtk.

You just have to use xfbdev instead of fbdev (the port to fbdev is dead), it will load as fast, use as much memory and Qt will be 4 time faster than GTK. Try by yourself.

But about the speed, just enable GPU windows drawing, if it is slower than gnome, then it is your fault, not KDE. If you talk about resize speed, it is because KDE3 and Gnome use an hack to send more redraw event to windows, Qt4 does not support the hack (but 4.6 will) making it seem slower, while it is only because the WM send less request.
            Neat, I will try it ASAP .

Comment

I just pulled the packages in from the Kubuntu backports. It seems the plasma segfault is gone. Now I can finally move to kde 4.3 (from gnome)

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                I've built it, installed it. It still sucks, and there are no performance improvements.
                If I remember you own a nVidia card. There are some hacks on their unofficial forum to improve performance. Some time ago using vesa KDE 4 was smoother then using their drivers, so low performance can be nVidia fault.
                Last edited by kraftman; 12 July 2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  If I remember you own a nVidia card. There are some hacks on their unofficial forum to improve performance. Some time ago using vesa KDE 4 was smoother then using their drivers, so low performance can be nVidia fault.
                  Not anymore. If you are using driver 180.xx or later, especially with GeForce 8 class hardware or higher, performance has improved drastically.

Comment

Plasma is still locking up on me

Comment

Working...
                    X