Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Gets Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Gets Released

Ubuntu 9.04 has been released this morning along with the 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" updates to Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Studio. With Ubuntu 9.04 there also remain the server and Netbook Remix spins. There are download links for the *buntu 9.04 releases within the Canonical release announcement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Overall, a great release. But it's not all fine. Intel users experience problems, I've heard of R3xx Mesa problems, Kubuntu has broken language packages thanks to Rosetta, and there are way too many other known issues. If you are not affected by them, great. But if you are, you won't be lucky.

So where's karmic Alpha 1?

Comment

It is good to have a new release, but why do they follow the release schedule with such problems like broken language packages?

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
        It is good to have a new release, but why do they follow the release schedule with such problems like broken language packages?
        That's because they don't give a damn about Kubuntu (they = Canonical). Kubuntu devs like Harald Sitter have already explained that the situation has to improve or he and maybe others will switch to Debian or Fedora. But I am optimistic that the situation can indeed improve

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
          Agreed with this sentiment. They should move potential release dates to the beginning of the month so if something comes up, they can push things back 2 weeks and not feel like they *have* to get things about the door on an exact date.

I also disagree about there just Kubuntu problems. The Intel driver issues affect everyone.

Comment

And everyone's updating and hammering the package archive servers.
            C'mon, guys, I'm trying to install packages here!

Anyway, I've been using Jaunty for a while now, and it's been 100% stable. (Except that time I removed some package and killed KDM, or that time I tried reinstalling grub and killed LVM, or...)

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              That's because they don't give a damn about Kubuntu (they = Canonical). Kubuntu devs like Harald Sitter have already explained that the situation has to improve or he and maybe others will switch to Debian or Fedora. But I am optimistic that the situation can indeed improve
              I'm not exactly sure what what point Harald Sitter became a Kubuntu developer or anything more than a proud Kubuntu user. Last I knew the only project I've ever seen him contribute to was Apache.

Comment

d2kx: I also hope that the situation will improve.

From what I have read, M. Shuttleworth uses KDE, it's ironic that Gnome gets more love (but it needs more anyway), also XUbuntu has the same problem as KDE.

jblackhall: That is a good idea, to move potential release dates to the beginning of the month, so the release will have the same version number.

I think that they should merge at least all the 3 main *ubuntu distros, with One name, and if they will to recommend by default the Gnome desktop... Like many other distros.

Edit: I find the blog entry of which d2kx was talking about http://apachelog.blogspot.com/2009/0...untu-l10n.html
                Last edited by KDesk; 23 April 2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Hm... not a big fan of *buntu usually, but I'll give the new Kubuntu a try (via kvm). I'd usually prefer "real" Debian (or sidux) but the last time I checked it was pretty complicated to get KDE 4.2 installed on them.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    Couldn't say I'd care much if he did. I'd rather have Kubuntu dropped and more work put into Ubuntu/Xubuntu. KDE is a pack of bloat built upon half-proprietary bloat. Gnome is worse off enough with duplicating GTK, and even XFCE is taking a turn to the worse as far as using resources is concerned, imho.

Oh well, who needs X, just scrap it altogether.

</halfmock rant>

Edit: by the way, has anyone ventured a look into Xubuntu Jaunty? The artwork is simply amazing. >_>
                    Last edited by susikala; 23 April 2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X