Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 11.3 Pulls In New Kernel & More

Phoronix: openSUSE 11.3 Pulls In New Kernel & More

A new snapshot of openSUSE 11.3 is available, which now puts it at Milestone 7, and means that the first release candidate is near. However, while the release of openSUSE 11.3 is approaching in July, it continues to add in new packages and support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there anyone outside Novell actually using this distro nowadays? Sometimes I wonder why they keep bothering.

Comment

This is what we get at work for regular desktop usage if you ask for Linux. As I understand it, it's just down to the personal preferences of our IT dude. I can't say I'm dissatisfied with it.

(I don't work at Novell)

Comment

What's wrong with OpenSuse? Aside from the philosophical stuff, the distro itself is pretty solid. Sure, it's not that bleeding edge and therefore "boring", but it's stable and with some nice features.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Is there anyone outside Novell actually using this distro nowadays?
          People that want a highly integrated KDE distro.

Comment

OpenSuse is indeed boring, not because it's not bleeding-edge, but because they do nothing new. They only pack packages together, test a lot and release. And that's it.

Comment

unfortunately all my research computers are running opensuse. I hate it with such a passion. nothing against novel. i just don't like yum.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
                unfortunately all my research computers are running opensuse. I hate it with such a passion. nothing against novel. i just don't like yum.
                openSuse use zypper not yum. You must be using Fedora

Comment

Originally posted by Peterson Spaceport View Post
                  OpenSuse is indeed boring, not because it's not bleeding-edge, but because they do nothing new. They only pack packages together, test a lot and release. And that's it.
                  Nice trolling but several studies over the years show Novell developers are in the top three of contributors to the kernel (see eg Table 9 of the pdf linked in this linux-magazine article http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...Writing-Linux/ ).

Also I believe they have the highest number of paid developers for KDE of any distro, and in imho produce the most polished packages (as well as access to bleeding-edge and legacy repositorues).

Comment

SuSE has never been a bleeding edge distribution, its market was always servers and polished/dependable desktops.

My university used to run SuSE for a long time for this reason. Then they switched to Ubuntu. It's not bad, but it's less dependable than SuSE was in my experience, and the KDE on Ubuntu is obviously total rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                    X