Wayland Still Working On Minimizing, Maximizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Hahaha the Wayland that is done, that is version 1.0, released, the greatest thing ever so good it's not in any distro since nobody deserves them, couldn't minimize? Sure, Wayland is complete...riiight...
    The 1.0 release was to mark that the Wayland protocol and API was declared rather stable so that developers could start working on their software and not expect it to break every new Wayland release.

As I understand, Wayland has come pretty far.
    What remains is improvements to the Wayland backend for GTK and Qt, and also XWayland.

GTK's Wayland backend is probably getting in pretty good shape for GTK 3.8.
    XWayland is a bit unstable and needs work.

Many applications needs to be ported from GTK2 to GTK3 and from Qt4 to Qt5.
    Many applications needs to stop using X11 calls and not rely on Xlib.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The 1.0 release was to mark that the Wayland protocol and API was declared rather stable so that developers could start working on their software and not expect it to break every new Wayland release.

What remains is improvements to the Wayland backend for GTK and Qt, and also XWayland.

Thank you for the summary. Now look at Mir's to do list, and say with a straight face that Wayland is not near enough to finished yet.

Comment

No, I think it goes something like this...

Mir still has to do a lot that is already done in Wayland, in addition to getting support added to toolkits (which is mostly done for Wayland), waiting for those apps to be ported to (or compiled with) versions of those toolkits which support Mir, and making apps less dependant on X.org (which, thanks to Wayland, is already in progress).

Now look at Mir's todo list and say with a straight face that Mir has less to do than Wayland before it's finished.

Comment

XWayland works pretty well for me. The radeon driver needs to fix a bug that crashes it when dragging a tab to a new position in Chrome, otherwise XWayland works fine.

Here's a screenshot of a bunch of XWayland apps running in Weston: http://i.imgur.com/lvUbYIb.png

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Thank you for the summary. Now look at Mir's to do list, and say with a straight face that Wayland is not near enough to finished yet.
            Without Wayland, Mir wouldn't even be possible.
            Wayland developers has for years laid down the foundation that made Mir possible.

DRM, KMS, pluggable backends, runtime configurable backends, device drivers, etc.

Comment

Without Wayland, Mir wouldn't even be possible.
              Wayland developers has for years laid down the foundation that made Mir possible.

DRM, KMS, pluggable backends, runtime configurable backends, device drivers, etc.
              Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you. I do not know, maybe the smiley muddled it...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you. I do not know, maybe the smiley muddled it...
                I understood that you were agreeing as well (smiley or no smiley), not sure how other people misinterpreted.

Comment

Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                    Seriously?
                    Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                      Seriously?
                      Seriously, Seriously?

Comment

Working...