X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, provide rock solid minimal!

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    still not running a composition manager, as it slows down window resizing
    This is the main and really annoying bug of all distributions providing kde:
    A beginner or not deep into-it user will not find the optimal configuration
    It should be easy to program some easy tool ...

And a really big plus using Gentoo: USE flag -semantic-desktop

Also other software packages not maintained any more but just bad running:
    These should go back second queue....

... it is possible to configure a Kde desktop to the best available gui available with Linux ...

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      Is there still tearing near the top of the screen when watching fullscreen video on ivybridge? as far as I'm concerned kde is unusable for me until this is fixed.
      You know I see that on my IB and SB systems no matter the desktop (even booting straight to an XBMC session). Pop in an nvidia card and all is good again.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
        you must be kidding....

allowing fullscreen windows unredirection is actually the correct way to go and not ugly. using a switch for deactivating compositing to fix this issue is actualy UGLY!
        That would be true if the switch was the only method that the window manager employed. In KWin's case it tries to do everything automatically where it can but let's you take control if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          Is there still tearing near the top of the screen when watching fullscreen video on ivybridge? as far as I'm concerned kde is unusable for me until this is fixed.
          And you can't use a non-KWin WM with Plasma Desktop why exactly? Compiz, Mutter, etc. work just fine with Plasma Desktop.

Comment

there's an old saying in valencia

you can polish a turd all you want

... it's still going to be a turd...

y'know what's sad about kde? it made the best linux burner look like vomit... it's still pretty good tho

Comment

I was just a little confused, why they go back to 4.1

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                You know I see that on my IB and SB systems no matter the desktop (even booting straight to an XBMC session). Pop in an nvidia card and all is good again.
                Its due to some compositors doing things wrong on SB/IB. You will also see this issue on any environment that does no compositing, until intel adds legacy vsync support (coming in kernel 3.8 I believe). the proper way to do tear-free output in SB/IB while still being able to keep the card in its power saving modes is to use a page-flipping compositor.

Ubuntu 12.10's compiz does it fine out of the box, absolutely no tearing anywhere on IB or SB. You can get no tearing on 12.04's compiz by going into compiz config and enabling "force fullscreen redraws (buffer swap) on repaint".

You can get no tearing anywhere in gnome-shell/mutter, cinnamon/muffin, and pantheon/gala by adding CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling to /etc/environment (there's an active bug report on this for mutter and there's already a patch in git I believe so it should be fixed out of the box in a future release).

kwin is the only compositor I've used that both has this bug and doesn't have an easy workaround which is why its a dealbreaker for me right now. mutter has the same bug but at least there's an easy workaround for it. Not sure about XBMC, but I assume you have the issue there because its not using any compositing and therefore not pageflipping.
                Last edited by bwat47; 07 December 2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Has Klook been implemented in dolphin yet? I remember seeing it in the feature plan for KDE 4.10 but it was still labelled as todo.

Comment

Working...
                  X