The Sauerbraten Open-Source Update Is Still Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    Does anyone need any more proof it's worthless to argue with closed source (or other types of) bigots?
    You idiot, you know you're a lier and honest as a hooker, don't confuse a pencil with a penis, and don't put me into the closed source crowd. I'm not paranoid about any party. I'm saying the closed source games are better for now, while you're being an open source asshole, which actually makes me like closed source stuff better, now that I met another open source douche bag like you, and there's lots of such douchebags, thankfully not all of them are open source ones, some of them are Nibiru or Jesus Christ assholes, you're the open source asshole.
    I don't care much about license or open/close nature of the game, unlike you, I judge games by their quality to the player.
    Last edited by mark45; 01 January 2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

There is really no reason why more single player only games using in house tech that is not being licensed out to other companies for $$$ couldn't have open source code bases. What the big game developers and publishers are really selling in those cases are the levels, models, textures, skins, animations, 2D Art, sound FX, dialogue, music and the like. I don't see how releasing the source code to those kinds of games would hurt sales one bit. At least not if done say after the first month or so of sales.

Comment

*facepalm*

The point of this game is "having fun" - Have you ever heard of it? Point of any game is having fun. I've never seen any graphics or ultimate-?ber-physics engine dependencies for "having fun". Because It's about spending some time.

If you really think that "having fun" is about realistic graphics with realistic weapons and realistic combat with realistic physics, then linux gaming isn't for you, yet.

And if you belive that "games" will bring an userbase to linux, then you should re-consider how healthy that userbase will be. Canonical may trying to attract those kind of personal computer users but not all the open source community are going to welcome those people.

There is a reason why we call it "ecosystem" - If we'd want to have bunch of retards who can't even search for a damn problem on freaking google, then we certainly would develop such softwares to our platform.

Are you getting the whole point? The problem isn't better games or softwares, the problem is userbase and their desire for non-liberty software for our platform. Then what would be the point of "software freedom" if we couldn't maintain our liberty? Freedom may not mean anything to you, but it certainly does to many many people around this community. - I'm not a Stallman fan but he's most certainly right about "dummy-friendly" vision of beginner distros.

Besides, games are for having fun. It really isn't that hard to understand why some people like to play counter strike or dota or whatever. - Does World Of WarCraft has the ultimate graphics? No. But 10 freaking million people playing it. Because it's fun.

Comment

WoW isn't fun, heh.

Originally posted by reznov
          Are you getting the whole point? The problem isn't better games or softwares, the problem is userbase and their desire for non-liberty software for our platform. Then what would be the point of "software freedom" if we couldn't maintain our liberty? Freedom may not mean anything to you, but it certainly does to many many people around this community. - I'm not a Stallman fan but he's most certainly right about "dummy-friendly" vision of beginner distros.
          We should all use Harsh Linux! All Hail Gentoob!
          There is nothing wrong with user-friendly distros. I use Xubuntu. Umadbro?

Comment

WoW isn't fun, heh.
            I know, I hate it. Chris Metzen has to die.

We should all use Harsh Linux! All Hail Gentoob!
            There is nothing wrong with user-friendly distros. I use Xubuntu. Umadbro?
            Where did I say "there is *something* wrong with beginner-friendly distros"? I'm just saying that Stallman is right about the "vision" of beginner-friendly distros. For example, Canonical is playing to become "hug my DRM" distro. DRM is not the only problem though, after shopping lens fiasco I just don't see the point of saying Ubuntu is a Linux Distro; They're trying to make a new OSX ecosystem. Even Shuttleworth says "we didn't want to end up like Windows" and he's right. Making something "consumer only" or "dummy only" is pointless. And There is absolutely no point of developing an OS with understanding of "our userbase is a bunch of retards" then you get "let's remove launcher-click minimize option cuz it's confusing as hell" - Yet, they have Compiz... One, pointless window manager that has no flexibility rather than a bunch of animations.

And I'm not saying all should use Gentoo or Arch or kernel-only (lol?!) I'm just repeating what Linus said;

"If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it."

Nothing more than that. But opposite behaviours or actions cause us more and more populist idiots who complain a lot. Like these "graphics" discussion. I believe judging a fun game through graphics is [fill the blank]. - But why? Why we have people who think "if we have more shiny things we'll have more users" Because of this behaviour.. Because we didn't understand that we're in goddamn 20-freaking-13 and capitalism requires more capable employees with ability to use a computer rather than using microsoft word.

That's what I'm saying. If you see a person who claims "I don't have time to search for a problem/a solution" just say "you're a f-ing liar"

Comment

Fun

Originally posted by reznov View Post
              *facepalm*
              The point of this game is "having fun" - Have you ever heard of it? Point of any game is having fun. I've never seen any graphics or ultimate-?ber-physics engine dependencies for "having fun". Because It's about spending some time.
              The Wii games also demonstrated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                The Wii games also demonstrated it.
                ++

I always thought Wii is for kids, then we bowled half of christmas in the living room

p.s. I didn't manage to hit any pins on the neighbour lanes...

Comment

IT IS RELEASED!

Comment

Working...
                  X