Disk requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk requirement

What is the disk space requirement for PTS-1.2 with Universe Suite?

Thus far, I appear to be around 8GB and still downloading. If there's no response by the time my suite downloads, I'll post an answer here.

I'm up to Urban Terror (~720mb), and my installation is 12Gb (downloaded ~5Gb).

Perhaps it would be nice for PTS to inform the user of enormous downloads .. speaking of which, it would be great to be able to select your sourceforge mirror, and perhaps provide download links to PTS during install time for various large files (like Urban Terror and the SPEC archives). This would allow people in countries who have download quotas (Australia :P) the opportunity to select unmetered sources.

edit: I did figure out to hack the download.xml file to put my own URLs in, but that was after about 3.5Gb of downloading :/
    Last edited by lem79; 10 July 2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Ok. Installed and ran benchmark universe. My .phoronix-test-suite folder is 11.7GB complete. Not sure if this folder ballooned at all during the run or the compile tests.

So count on about 12GB of disk space used all together.

Comment

Right now when downloading an individual test it should inform the user of the size for that test... I can add in support for the 1.2 release to calculate it for a suite as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I may add in an option to the user-config.xml that will prompt a user to select one of the mirrors when it comes time to download something.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I did notice PTS informs me of download sizes for each individual download. Yes, a total for "install-all" would be very welcome.

On the subject of PTS feedback.. I noticed the file downloading process overwrites files in the temporary location, even if they're the correct file. Perhaps it would be worth md5'ing the file if it already exists. If md5 is wrong, proceed to download. If it matches, use it for installation purposes.

edit: oh, and wget -c might be useful too, for incomplete files (maybe computer went into suspend, or the user hit Ctrl-C in the wrong terminal?)

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
            I noticed the file downloading process overwrites files in the temporary location, even if they're the correct file. Perhaps it would be worth md5'ing the file if it already exists. If md5 is wrong, proceed to download. If it matches, use it for installation purposes.
            This is from the /tmp/phoronix-test-suite location? It should automatically transfer the file and then remove the file as soon as the download finishes... had you exited early? Then after your tests are installed, if you run "phoronix-test-suite make-download-cache" it should copy all of the files with MD5 verification to ~/.phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/ where you can transfer the files between PCs, etc. PTS uses MD5 sums in all of those areas except for the tmp, since it should copy over right away.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

If you do an "install-all", you're looking at an installed-tests folder size upwards of 20GB.

Edit: Total download size is currently 6.3GB for all tests.
              Last edited by uncle_fungus; 10 July 2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                speaking of which, it would be great to be able to select your sourceforge mirror, and perhaps provide download links to PTS during install time for various large files (like Urban Terror and the SPEC archives). This would allow people in countries who have download quotas (Australia :P) the opportunity to select unmetered sources.
                Come up with a good feature, and it shall be delivered

Landed in the trondheim-12 branch of git today is a feature that should address this:

pts-core: If PromptForDownloadMirror tag in user-config.xml is set to TRUE, prompt the user when running in a non-batch mode what mirror to download a test file from or optionally the user can input their own download location
                When enabling that option, now when it comes to download a file it will do something like:

====================================
                Downloading Files For: ut2004-demo
                ====================================

Available Download Mirrors:

1: http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gen...x-demo3334.run
                2: ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/gentoo/...x-demo3334.run
                3: http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/d...x-demo3334.run

Enter Your Preferred Mirror: 2

Downloading File: ut2004-lnx-demo3334.run

--13:09:39-- ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/gentoo/...x-demo3334.run
                => `ut2004-lnx-demo3334.run'
                Resolving mirror.mcs.anl.gov... 146.137.96.7, 146.137.96.15
                Connecting to mirror.mcs.anl.gov|146.137.96.7|:21... connected.
                You can then enter just the number of a mirror, or optionally you can enter a string that is the URI for downloading the file from another website -- permitting you aren't running in batch mode and that the file is named the same from the place you enter.

So there you go, that feature should now be taken care of
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Very nice work Michael! Exactly what I was looking for. I trust the feature will be useful for a lot of others as well. Typically here in Australia (perhaps elsewhere in the world too?), ISPs have local (unmetered and FAST) mirrors of popular data, such as Linux distros, game demos and so forth (even SourceForge mirrors in the case of Optus and Internode here in Au).

About the temp file downloading process, yes I was referring to /tmp/phoronix-test-suite, and yes I was exiting early. The reason for my exiting early was realising, "What, you're downloading 500mb from internap.dl.sourceforge.net?!?! I could use internode.dl.sourceforge.net, have it unmetered, AND get it at 800k/sec!" .. so I thought I'd Ctrl-C, manually wget the file to the /tmp location, then see if PTS realised the file was already there and continue the installation. PTS didn't, it decided to overwrite. With your select location feature, this workaround becomes redundant however

Comment

Working...
                  X