Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.13 Kernel Development Will Be Dragged Out

Phoronix: Linux 3.13 Kernel Development Will Be Dragged Out

Linus Torvalds plans on extending the time until the Linux 3.13 kernel release officially happens. The final release will take place around mid-January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

He doesn't seem to be making much sense logically, but he is Linus, and I can't question his choices. It seems like for each version he wants a specific amount of changes and/or features and he takes every little addition very seriously, which, I guess in hindsight keeps you from sneaky people letting in some bad stuff.

But if I were him, I would be glad to get a lot of development, and put some trust to the hierarchy of linux developers so that development is accelerated.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      He doesn't seem to be making much sense logically, but he is Linus, and I can't question his choices. It seems like for each version he wants a specific amount of changes and/or features and he takes every little addition very seriously, which, I guess in hindsight keeps you from sneaky people letting in some bad stuff.

But if I were him, I would be glad to get a lot of development, and put some trust to the hierarchy of linux developers so that development is accelerated.
      Spoken like someone who has never managed a software project.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Spoken like someone who has never managed a software project.
        Heh, you're darn tootin'. first rule of shipping working software: NEVER trust the dam developers. especially when they say things like "don't worry, it can't possibly break anything."

rc4 was pretty busted here, rc5 seems good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Heh, you're darn tootin'. first rule of shipping working software: NEVER trust the dam developers. especially when they say things like "don't worry, it can't possibly break anything."
          As a developer, i'll let you in on a secret. That's code for "I think this should probably work, but i haven't really tested it out and i don't want to, so let's just push this code out and see if anything bad happens."

After all, if it can't possible break anything there is no need for testing. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            As a developer, i'll let you in on a secret. That's code for "I think this should probably work, but i haven't really tested it out and i don't want to, so let's just push this code out and see if anything bad happens."

After all, if it can't possible break anything there is no need for testing. Right?
            Oh, I'd suspected that for many years.

As we're sharing, let me let you in on one too: everything you read on The Trenches is 100% true. Especially the Snuffler. He does most of my testing some weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X