Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.68 Improves Modeling, Cycles Performance

Phoronix: Blender 2.68 Improves Modeling, Cycles Performance

It's time for another big release of the Blender open-source 3D modelling software. Blender 2.68 contains fixes and enhancements throughout the entire multi-platform program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Blender is one (and probably only) media app that is professional, looks modern, loads quickly, feels lightweight, is actively developed by lots of people and would cost a lot of money if it wasn't free.

Comment

Cycles is good but it's too slow and noisy. I tried Modo 701 this morning, and its renderer feels much faster (not to mention perfect quality with 0 noise). There are "hacks" to get rid of the noise in Blender, like disabling caustics and messing with the light path node, but it is far from being user friendly and intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Cycles is good but it's too slow and noisy. I tried Modo 701 this morning, and its renderer feels much faster (not to mention perfect quality with 0 noise). There are "hacks" to get rid of the noise in Blender, like disabling caustics and messing with the light path node, but it is far from being user friendly and intuitive.
        Can you provide 2 screenshots and 2 scene files to see difference? I mean you probably compare 128 bounces cycles with 2 bounce Modo or similar "apple vs orange" test settings. Did you run Cycles on GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by storm_st View Post
          Can you provide 2 screenshots and 2 scene files to see difference? I mean you probably compare 128 bounces cycles with 2 bounce Modo or similar "apple vs orange" test settings. Did you run Cycles on GPU?
          Actually the number of bounces does not improve the result that much in some scenes. Just place a plane with a 0.05 glossy material and some random object on top of it with the material you wish. The same scene in modo does not produce noise because its renderer does not produce noise, it's a different technology, try it and you'll see.

What difference do you expect by running Cycles on the GPU ? I ran it on the CPU.

Comment

Actually the number of bounces does not improve the result that much in some scenes. Just place a plane with a 0.05 glossy material and some random object on top of it with the material you wish. The same scene in modo does not produce noise because its renderer does not produce noise, it's a different technology, try it and you'll see.
            can you share 2 pictures and scenes for both cases? And btw, what "different technology" it use ? Post process denoise filter ? some secret trick ? Did you know what "Global Illumination" mean ? It take time to probe many bounces, it is not free. Blender still have BI renderer for that tricks.

What difference do you expect by running Cycles on the GPU ? I ran it on the CPU.
            I suspect you use Blender first time, or trolling. Anyway, it give 8x speedup for average consumer CPU on top Nvidia GPU on typical scenes. "Cycles on GPU" is most big, attractive, discussed in 500+ forum threads feature maybe last 2 years in Blender, hard to not notice it if you use longer then week.

Comment

Idk, I don't use Cycles as my primary render engine, but I've found if I do what you requested, then a 27sec render at 100 samples looks pretty decent? Thats with the 2.67 version, moving to VS2012 has given 2.68 a decent 10-20$ boost on CPU.

The whole special thing about using GPU's is that 4 nVidia GTX 780's costs a lot less than 4 6 core Intel CPU's, and runs a heck of alot faster. Plus a single socket motherboard is all thats needed.

Plus Blender is a sub 100MB download, that includes smoke sims, fluids, particles, compositing, a full GPU based render engine, a OSL scripting or node tree made material setup thats incredibly flexible as well as sculpting, scripting, animation tools and uv mapping, to name some of its features. Its highly configurable, advancing rather fast and its 100% free. If you don't want it, no one is making you use it.

This is a site about OSS, is Modo OSS? No. Well thats why this news isn't about Modo.

Comment

If you want to compare Cycles with other software/engine, as storm_st said before you have to make a deep analysis about settings and features used in each of them. I think it's good to compare as long as it is done with respect and knowing what you're talking about.

Separate issue, I can not wait to try these new GSoC 2013 features:
                Testing out some of the new 2013 Google Summer of Code updates to Blender's Texture Paint.Music: https://soundcloud.com/steel-sky

Blender Gsoc 2013 Sketch Mesh using Laplacian Surface EditingBlenderGoogle summer of code project 2013Sketch MeshAuthor: Alexander Pinzon Fernandezhttp://wik...

Comment

Originally posted by storm_st View Post
                  can you share 2 pictures and scenes for both cases? And btw, what "different technology" it use ? Post process denoise filter ? some secret trick ? Did you know what "Global Illumination" mean ? It take time to probe many bounces, it is not free. Blender still have BI renderer for that tricks.

I suspect you use Blender first time, or trolling. Anyway, it give 8x speedup for average consumer CPU on top Nvidia GPU on typical scenes. "Cycles on GPU" is most big, attractive, discussed in 500+ forum threads feature maybe last 2 years in Blender, hard to not notice it if you use longer then week.
                  In that particular sentence I was talking about render quality, not speed. I perfectly know you get more speed by using a GPU. And no, I'm not going to tell you for how long I've been using Blender. It seems I touched a nerve.

Originally posted by zeealpal;
                  This is a site about OSS, is Modo OSS? No. Well thats why this news isn't about Modo.
                  Yeah, and as we all know Steam is also open source. It seems I touched another nerve.

Comment

In that particular sentence I was talking about render quality, not speed.
                    I'm not gonna talk about modo because I did not know it. But in Cycles speed and quality may be related. If in a scene the render takes 10 minutes with CPU at 200 samples, then you with a good GPU you could up samples to 1200 and other tweaks, and get a much better quality in the same 10 minutes. Then, speed and quality are related.

Comment

Working...
                    X