Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance Has A Long Way To Go

Phoronix: AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D Performance Has A Long Way To Go

With Fedora 19 presenting a nice "out of the box" experience for AMD Radeon HD 7000 series graphics using the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver, benchmarks of the open-source driver were done and compared to previous generations of AMD hardware. Sadly, there's still much work ahead for the Radeon HD 7000 series driver in being able to catch up with the hardware supported under the mature R600 Gallium3D driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

During the RadeonSI Gallium3D testing, for a few of the tests there was also incorrect rendering. Xonotic appeared to be most problematic for RadeonSI
    Why no screenshots?

Here are some screenshots of how problematic it looks for me (for some reason "ultra" was buggy, but in the past it definitely worked, so this is high):

In your system description: http://openbenchmarking.org/embed.ph...ha=44bebd4&p=2
    Schr?dinger's cat. Come on, you have unicode support, don't you?

Which llvm version? I'm assuming fedora has 3.3?

I would suggest testing with 3.10 and with drm-next-3.11-wip-5 and with llvm 3.4 svn/git right ahead.
    Last edited by ChrisXY; 28 June 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Also a possibility is the fact Fedora doesnt ship libtxc for S3TC support. I dont know if any of these games ship with S3TC textures, but Nexuiz might-- which would explain that at least partially.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Very disappointing indeed. The 5830 runs much faster than the 7950.

Comment

Things/questions that we should probably keep in mind:

1) Llano and other AMD APUs default to a very low clock speed in the VBIOS... Could SI be doing the same?
          2) All of the SI cards were using GLAMOR, while the other cards were using EXA
          3) Do we know if LLVM was compiled as a debug build in this Fedora build? Debug builds of LLVM are much slower at compiling shaders
          4) S3TC probably isn't enabled in this Fedora build, which probably hurts all architectures, but maybe not all are affected equally.
          5) There's still lots of room for improvement in the LLVM back-end for all radeon generations
          6) Was the r600g driver using llvm for shader compilation or the TGSI back-end?

The results are disappointing, yes... but how much of this is due to deficiencies in the code, and how much is due to differences in the test setup between card generations?

Edit:
          Regarding #1, I found this:
          Extensive repository of graphics card BIOS image files. Our database covers submissions categorized by GPU vendor, type, and board partner variant.

Most 7850 1GB cards there default to high clocks. But a few default to clocks that are lower than their optimum-performance levels.
          Last edited by Veerappan; 28 June 2013, 03:52 PM.

Comment

No 2D benchmarks :/

Sad that 2D performance was completely ignored in this benchmark round.
            It would have been really interesting to see how well the completely re-done 2D driver architecture RadeonSI performs ... although I have to admit I do not have high hopes

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              Things/questions that we should probably keep in mind:

1) Llano and other AMD APUs default to a very low clock speed in the VBIOS... Could SI be doing the same?
              2) All of the SI cards were using GLAMOR, while the other cards were using EXA
              3) Do we know if LLVM was compiled as a debug build in this Fedora build? Debug builds of LLVM are much slower at compiling shaders
              4) S3TC probably isn't enabled in this Fedora build, which probably hurts all architectures, but maybe not all are affected equally.
              5) There's still lots of room for improvement in the LLVM back-end for all radeon generations
              6) Was the r600g driver using llvm for shader compilation or the TGSI back-end?

The results are disappointing, yes... but how much of this is due to deficiencies in the code, and how much is due to differences in the test setup between card generations?
              About Fedora... by now, with release so close, Debug SHOULD be turned off by now unless they are waiting until the day before to recompile all the images with debugging disabled.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

dont forget that 7XXX cards bios tend to start at lowest power profile, you need to change it to high, for example as root before benchmarking

Code:
                echo "high" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
                I am sure that speed difference ~8x because of that. My 7850 work almost perfect here, after that trick. 2D scrolling, gnome-shell transitions, all become very smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  Sad that 2D performance was completely ignored in this benchmark round.
                  It would have been really interesting to see how well the completely re-done 2D driver architecture RadeonSI performs ... although I have to admit I do not have high hopes
                  2D will be covered separately in its own article.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    2D will be covered separately in its own article.
                    When you do the 2D article, could you make sure to include some of the r600g cards with both EXA and GLAMOR modes? It'd help us to see how much of the performance difference is due to GLAMOR, and how much is due to the drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X