Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Phoronix: Fedora 17: Beefier Than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Proper and extensive benchmarks of Fedora 17 against Ubuntu 12.04 LTS are forthcoming, but here's a preview of some results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora 17 was quick to adopt GCC 4.7 where as Ubuntu 12.04 LTS took the conservative approach of living with GCC 4.7
    I think you meant that Ubuntu stuck with GCC 4.6, no? Anyway..
    Thanks for the benchmarks. It's good to see a performance boost with gcc 4.7 and newer kernels, even for Ubuntu users.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      I think you meant that Ubuntu stuck with GCC 4.6, no?
      Ja, fixed thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does Fedora 17 comes with a software center now? I'm sorta attached to Ubuntu or Mint for this.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't quite get that. The compile bench is faster on Fedora because it's GCC 4.6 vs. 4.7 or because disk access is faster in Beefy Miracle?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            I'm sorta attached to Ubuntu or Mint for this.
            The Ubuntu Software Center is being ported to PackageKit as GSOC project so even if there isn't one yet there soon will be.

Comment

Michael,

Please consider using Fedora (Or any other Linux distribution that comes in first) the next time you do a Windows / Solaris / BSD vs. Linux benchmark.
              Using the slow(er/est) Linux as yardstick is plain wrong.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                Using the slow(er/est) Linux as yardstick is plain wrong.
                It's not plain wrong when Ubuntu Linux is the most widely used desktop Linux distribution out there and there's many derivatives of it... Sure with tweaking and custom package compiling, I'm sure Arch or LinuxFromScratch could be made the fastest, but then not many people would be able to easily and reliably achieve those same results, etc and it would just represent a small minority of individuals.

Including both Ubuntu and xxxxxxx though in a future comparison against others? Perhaps.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It's not plain wrong when Ubuntu Linux is the most widely used desktop Linux distribution out there and there's many derivatives of it... Sure with tweaking and custom package compiling, I'm sure Arch or LinuxFromScratch could be made the fastest, but then not many people would be able to easily and reliably achieve those same results, etc and it would just represent a small minority of individuals.

Including both Ubuntu and xxxxxxx though in a future comparison against others? Perhaps.
                  Here's the thing, given the lack of credible information, the only two means to somehow measure market share is Google trends and Distrowatch, and both are severely broken.
                  The only *credible* market share information (in this case, information backed by cold hard cash) comes from either RedHat or SUSE, and neither is being used as the "Linux" yardstick.

Beyond that, Mint, OpenSUSE and Fedora (just to name a few) are just as easy to use as Ubunutu and both are used by millions and are just as worthy to be the Linux yardstick as Ubunutu. (Again, given the lack of credible usage numbers).

Having said all that, It's OK to say "I personally prefer Ubunutu, hence I use it", however, if this is indeed the case, I believe this should be stated openly.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    Having said all that, It's OK to say "I personally prefer Ubunutu, hence I use it", however, if this is indeed the case, I believe this should be stated openly.

That's not at all the case, I'm not an Ubuntu fan boy. I also have Fedora, SUSE, MacOSX, Solaris, etc systems around for PTS and other purposes. My main system is even still running Ubuntu 10.10 since I haven't been too fond of recent Ubuntu releases.

Edit: And perhaps the stat about usage I care the most about is the OS stats from OpenBenchmarking.org: http://openbenchmarking.org/s/OS since most PTS users are Phoronix readers. So yes, most of the people likely reading the content are using Ubuntu.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X