No announcement yet.

Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Announced Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new standard to not be used or implemented in any meaningful way.

Comment

It would be a special kind of fail to release ES4 when ES3 is practically nonexistent on user devices.

Khronos, don't fuck it up, make it so ES3 devices will run ES4.

Comment

look the example of dx11 and dx10

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        It would be a special kind of fail to release ES4 when ES3 is practically nonexistent on user devices.

Khronos, don't fuck it up, make it so ES3 devices will run ES4.
        look the example of dx11 and dx10 and dx10.1 almost no games with dx10 in the market

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          Current DX/GL drivers do a lot of input validation and take care of resource management (allocation, buffering...). Assuming DX12 will be like Mantle, this validation, resource management will go away and become game engine responsibility, allowing higher performance because the game knows better what to do when.
          Free memory access for everyone everywhere, hooray! The input validation is there for a good reason. In best case, you just hang the hardware and have to reset. More worse, the application gets access to regions it's not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            look the example of dx11 and dx10 and dx10.1 almost no games with dx10 in the market
            You mean DX10.1 right? IIRC it's because AMD was the first one to support it by a long shot, there where a few games that implemented it, even some that removed the capability because Nvidia paid them off as DX10.1 made the games run noticeably faster then DX10.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I still can't get a clear answer - do current DX11/OGL4.x cards support DX12 and OGL5?
              I believe DX12 is likely going to have similar requirements to Mantle - that is, RadeonSI and up for AMD, and i think Fermi is the equivalent on the NVidia side. My guess is that GL5 will be have the same requirements as well. They can always create a GL4.5 version that provides the parts that will run on older cards, just like they provided GL3.3 when 4.0 came out.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 15 July 2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                Free memory access for everyone everywhere, hooray! The input validation is there for a good reason. In best case, you just hang the hardware and have to reset. More worse, the application gets access to regions it's not allowed.
                Newer hardware implements virtual memory, and the hardware provides validation to make sure your app doesn't get access to something it shouldn't be able to see. Crashes can happen, though.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                  Virtual memory and command stream checking should take care of gross misbehavior.

But you are of course free to stick with current APIs if you need current levels of validation. Like for every draw call for every drawn frame...

Edit:
                  @smitty3268 beat me to it

Comment

I still can't get a clear answer - do current DX11/OGL4.x cards support DX12 and OGL5?
                    Yes and No. Manufacturers can update drivers for older hardware to bring support for newer OpenGL/DirectX revisions but they may choose not to do so.

Comment

I still can't get a clear answer - do current DX11/OGL4.x cards support DX12 and OGL5? And, I still don't understand why this needs a new specification - why can't older versions just simply be modified to increase efficiency?
                      In short, the old APIs were not designed to be efficient
                      select VS epoll is a good example.

Comment

Working...
                      X