Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sacridex View Post
    Orly?
    Let's just assume, Mir will be fucking awesome and will beat the shit out of Wayland:
    Why exactly would anyone NOT use Mir and go for Wayland instead? If Canonical decides to go another direction, Mir can be forked and everyone is still happy.
    No point in assuming that because it won't happen. The wayland developers have significantly more experience when it comes to developing a display server, and they are trying to do things the "right way", whilst mir exists purely to quickly develop a display server that only suits unity's needs, so it will probably be rather "quick and hacky" compared to wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      No point in assuming that because it won't happen. The wayland developers have significantly more experience when it comes to developing a display server, and they are trying to do things the "right way", whilst mir exists purely to quickly develop a display server that only suits unity's needs, so it will probably be rather "quick and hacky" compared to wayland.
      Canonical plan is Unity and nothing more. Phone, tablets, desktop are intended to run Unity... people using other desktops etc. aren't a part of their business plan. They may be supported, but they may not be a part of the big plan.

IMHO I don't care what display server I use. It has to work, and it has to work with desktop I choose. By they way they could do something noticeable for the user, like plug-and-play support for USB(3) digital output adapters (HDMI/DVI/DP, just like on Windows), or for example wireless headphones (at the moment I can easily use one with Gnome Mplayer, but not other GUIs) and stuff like that that annoys me

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
        A) I don't think that you understand why is everybody so upset by the CanonicalWay? IMHO.
        B) Fedora seems to be OK too lately, If you can stand Gnome sHell. It's a little bit more advanced but hey, I personally don't know any PC noob who installs Linux by himself. People who install Linux either know what they are doing or they have somebody to do the dirty work instead of them IMHO...
        A) Honestly, i don't understand nor stand the whining.
        B) Really?

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
          IMHO I don't care what display server I use. It has to work, and it has to work with desktop I choose.
          In other words, X11?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
            A) Honestly, i don't understand nor stand the whining.
            B) Really?

A) GTFO then...
            B) Really.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
              X is far from dead and useless. It is old and creaky, but it still powers an awful lot of *Nix displays. I don't get all the clammoring for something else "right now!" X has more than enough life left to see us through untill the transition to a new display architecture can take place smoothly.
              X has to die soon and I hope it will. Be it Wayland or Mir, but get rid of this unix crap as soon as possible. It's enough to use XWayland or XMir for some legacy applications in the future, but KDE, Gnome, enlighment will be running without X just fine.

Comment

A) GTFO then...
                B) Really.
                A) "get the fuck out" ... ok then, from where exactly should i "get the fuck out" ?
                B) You definitely need to meet more people

Comment

People who install Linux either know what they are doing or they have somebody to do the dirty work instead of them IMHO...
                  I had no idea what I was doing when I installed my first Linux distro. Managed to get the whole thing messed up in a matter of days with some basic "ooh what does this button do" behaviour. Picked up the pieces and kept on playing with it until it started making sense. Now I'm at a point where I can even manage to fix most of my mistakes without reinstalling the entire system.

For that matter I know a bunch of people who are total noobs with computers and still use Linux. Heck, some of them even use Fedora. Being a computer expert may have been a requirement for using Linux 10 years ago but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                    A) "get the fuck out" ... ok then, from where exactly should i "get the fuck out" ?
                    B) You definitely need to meet more people
                    A) From this discussion?
                    B) Nah, I just need to meet more Linux users and less Mac users....

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                      A large reason why Canonical gets all the shit it gets is because they are incapable of working in collaborative open source environments. Forking projects left and right. Not contributing patches upstream. Abusing their market dominance to create incompatible standards. Taking openly developed code behind closed doors and releasing it back months later with numerous additions without at any point contacting the upstream. Using contributor license agreements... and so on and so forth.
                      Well, considering both Wayland and Mir will be targeting OpenGL ES drivers it really isn't breaking any standards that will hurt the other project.
                      As for contributing upstream, it seems that Canonical won't even be afforded that luxury since many projects have come out and said they will outright refuse to upstream Mir patches, so take that as you will.

Comment

Working...
                      X