There May Finally Be Better ATI Linux Video Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Just yesterday, I tested a 1080p video on my Ati system. On Windows (WMP12), it ate 50% on two cores (3.2GHz) and was choppy when seeking. On Linux (Rhythmbox), it ate 40% and seeked perfectly.

How come, since Ati's Linux drivers don't offer hardware acceleration?
    Sounds like you didn't have DXVA enabled on your system.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Sounds like you didn't have DXVA enabled on your system.
      I don't think Catalyst accelerates video even on Windows unless you have at least a 4xxx series card.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I don't think Catalyst accelerates video even on Windows unless you have at least a 4xxx series card.
        It works with 2xxx cards and above in windows. I can use dxva on my laptops hd2600 with media play classic and player 1080p video fine on my measly 2ghz core2 duo with under 10% cpu usage.

Comment

How can you?

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          It works with 2xxx cards and above in windows. I can use dxva on my laptops hd2600 with media player classic and player 1080p video fine on my measly 2ghz core2 duo with under 10% cpu usage.
          [This post is off-topic]

You can?! You must have a lot of luck!

Which Catalyst Mobility version are you using on Windows?

All latest Catalyst's I've installed in my Windows 7 don't work with UVD acceleration (at least with WMP12/VLC). I can only enable it ATM with Catalyst 10.7 + Xorg 1.8.2 + Arch Linux + mplayer-vaapi...

On Windows, VLC gives a "dxva_create_surface()" error after detecting my card has UVD DxVA support...
          With WMP12, I even checked the DxVA settings of k-lite codec pack and everything should be working properly out-of-box, unless those DxVA features are only valid for MPC-HC...? =S

Cheers

Comment

The windows drivers definitely have video decode acceleration. It's been supports since the rage128 days. The video player you are using has to utilize DXVA to take advantage of it.

rage128-r5xx, r600 - mpeg1/2 support (3D engine)
            rv550 - mpeg1/2, HD (UVD1)
            rv6xx - mpeg1/2, HD (UVD1)
            rv7xx, rs780/rs880, evergreen - mpeg1/2, HD (UVD2)
            northern islands - mpeg1/2, HD, etc. (UVD3)

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
              [This post is off-topic]

You can?! You must have a lot of luck!

Which Catalyst Mobility version are you using on Windows?

All latest Catalyst's I've installed in my Windows 7 don't work with UVD acceleration (at least with WMP12/VLC). I can only enable it ATM with Catalyst 10.7 + Xorg 1.8.2 + Arch Linux + mplayer-vaapi...

On Windows, VLC gives a "dxva_create_surface()" error after detecting my card has UVD DxVA support...
              With WMP12, I even checked the DxVA settings of k-lite codec pack and everything should be working properly out-of-box, unless those DxVA features are only valid for MPC-HC...? =S

Cheers
              Its worked for me in win7 and cat as far back as I can remember. I am using 10.8 right now on the laptop I believe. dxva works for me with wmp12, vlc, and mpc-hc

Comment

@agd5f

That must be incorrect as mpeg 1/2 VLD is definitely NOT supported.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  It works with 2xxx cards and above in windows. I can use dxva on my laptops hd2600 with media play classic and player 1080p video fine on my measly 2ghz core2 duo with under 10% cpu usage.
                  I believe i was thinking about Flash acceleration on Windows. ATI cards were only going to support it with UVD2+ (4xxx series and later). I remember something with UVD1 definitely wasn't supported, because i happen to have a 3870 that should be doing hardware acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                  X