No announcement yet.

Wine 1.7.9 Brings Few Noteworthy Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I test wine 1.79 and works good (Crashday works)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      No I paid for a copy of codeweaver's product.
      Are you?
      If you're unhappy with the product, you should probably stop paying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        CodeWeavers does most of the Wine developement so I think it's fair for their customer to expect them to work on things that many users want to use.
        Sure but this isn't Codeweaver's support forum. Whats the point of complaining here?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          Sure but this isn't Codeweaver's support forum. Whats the point of complaining here?
          No disagreement here.

Comment

It seems to me Wine has lost its steam the last few years.

Only minor changes, compatibility still sucks, there is STILL no 100% DX9 support etc...

I don't expect much from them anymore...

PS: Does anyone know if the major bug in Mass Effect 3, where the game crashes on the mission at the Cerberus base late in the game, is fixed? I would like to play it again, but this is gamebreaking, i could not pass that point...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              It seems to me Wine has lost its steam the last few years.

Only minor changes, compatibility still sucks, there is STILL no 100% DX9 support etc...

I don't expect much from them anymore...
              "Compatibility still sucks" depends on the applications you run. Trackmania and many other games (like Source games, before they were native) runs fine here with almost zero issues. You should see that as something quite impressive, for a game that was not even compiled natively for GNU/Linux.

There are also more native applications than there used to be, that's maybe why Wine lost some interest these months, but the development still seems to be quite active...

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                "Compatibility still sucks" depends on the applications you run. Trackmania and many other games (like Source games, before they were native) runs fine here with almost zero issues. You should see that as something quite impressive, for a game that was not even compiled natively for GNU/Linux.

There are also more native applications than there used to be, that's maybe why Wine lost some interest these months, but the development still seems to be quite active...
                Relax haters appears on any place, mostly people talk, talk and never test, wine changes take time but if you test frequently and have pacience, good results appears

Back to topic yes trackmania runs good, recently i testing trackmania united forever and works good and other games

Comment

Compatibility will always suck because unless microsoft releases an actual specification for their proprietary apis including directx they are the only ones who could actually ensure compatibility. Everything else is only a hack by nature. Wine is extremely impressive for what it is but I cringe every time people suggest valve should "officially" use wine to "support" games on steamos. Even if they could actually test that a game works completely in all edge cases like on windows, performance will still be unpredictable...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    Compatibility will always suck because unless microsoft releases an actual specification for their proprietary apis including directx they are the only ones who could actually ensure compatibility. Everything else is only a hack by nature. Wine is extremely impressive for what it is but I cringe every time people suggest valve should "officially" use wine to "support" games on steamos. Even if they could actually test that a game works completely in all edge cases like on windows, performance will still be unpredictable...
                    Hater

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      The netflix patch is something like a year and a half old. I think that should be enough time to "review" it.
                      Peppercats, You clearly aren't aware of the status of any of this stuff, nor are aware of how Wine Development actually works (at all!).

The Netflix patchset failed numerous tests - and therefore needed/needs to be revised until it passes all tests before it would be suitable for merging into upstream Wine. (this is true of the CSMT patches too). It has nothing to do with having had enough time to be reviewed (by Wine Developers) and has everything to do with the author of those patches revising them until they pass all tests and are deemed acceptable into Wine. (and possibly other developmental factors,) ~ that being said some of those patches have been accepted, while (last time i checked) there was still some of the XEMBED code/patching that still needs work + (probably) some other bits. <the author has some patches on wine-patches list right now, that may be related to netflix>.

Looking at this situation, as (netflix) patches being made a year or so ago, doesn't mean anything and isn't a good argument/justification on why they should already be in Wine... Unrelated but lets take the CSMT patches (Command Stream), for example - While CX has merged them (as a CX hack) - In Wine, they plan to not 'hack it in' but actually re-architect some of the code / interfaces where needed, on top of making sure it passes all tests. In fact, to give some insight (on Wine's Development). Look no further than Stefan D?singer's (CSMT author) comments on Wine-Devel a few minutes ago;

Originally posted by Stefan D?singer/Wine-devel
                      > I haven't seen any news of the command stream lately. The last thing I read
                      > was the mention of "more preparation work" in the 1.7.4 release
                      > announcement. Has the project been abandoned?

It?s not been abandoned. I?m working on getting it merged, but I was delayed by other, partially related work.

I?m on vacation right now, but I plan to send a new patchset to wine-devel early in January, probably for 1.7.10. I was hoping to do so for 1.7.9 before the Chrismas vacation, but the patches I have in my tree are somewhat broken at the moment and only produce a segfault. I didn?t finish cleaning them up in time.

Getting the command stream merged will take a while. My current goal at the moment is merging surface and resource location management and moving it into the resource class. Buffers will have to be migrated as well before the command stream itself can proceed. And for the CS itself we have a few more design decisions to work out to make sure the code is maintainable in the long term.

> I maintain a wine build for gamers, and currently have it frozen at version
                      > 1.7.1 with Stefan's September 2 command stream patches, because they seem to
                      > boost performance quite a bit for some folks. I'd love to get something
                      > more mature into my users' hands if it's available.

If you are looking for an intermediate version of the code with a few bugs from my original wine-devel submission fixed then you can find that in the CrossOver 13 Wine sources. It?d be a bit of effort to isolate those changes and put them in the upstream wine code though.
                      (his comments do not have > next to them / they are in bold)...and as you can see - there is work to be done before the CSMT code can be merged (not all that unlike the Netflix situation)..
                      Last edited by ninez; 23 December 2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X