Radeon UVD Support Merged Into Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Is it in legal review or are you working on the code? Hope that I can see this getting released.
    The best answer to that question is probably "yes"

I've tried to explain this maybe 20 times (with no apparent success), but the flow is not "develop it, sit on it for a while, release it"... it's more of a spiral alternating between development and review. If/when we can get something that everyone is happy with, we generally release the same day.

... and it's not "legal" review, it's primarily technical review by other engineering groups.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The best answer to that question is probably "yes"

I've tried to explain this maybe 20 times (with no apparent success), but the flow is not "develop it, sit on it for a while, release it"... it's more of a spiral alternating between development and review. If/when we can get something that everyone is happy with, we generally release the same day.

... and it's not "legal" review, it's primarily technical review by other engineering groups.
      AMD need an FAQ Site for the FOSS Driver Stuff

Comment

I just wanted to add my experience. It works beautifully, the acceleration is even better than what I get with the fglrx driver and vaapi (2-5% cpu utilization vs 10-12%) on my 6870 card. I've decided to wait until the relevant packages make it into stable distribution releases but I'm pretty excited that I managed to get it working so easily. The developers are doing a great job and I love that I'm using a driver that just keeps getting better as time goes on.

Comment

Exsist something like back-copy with vdpau? That the cpu can filter the decoded image with e.g. deinterlacing, degrain, denoise, deband.

Comment

Well that's a relief, then!

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            As an owner of a RV790 card, I'm delighted to hear that the obstacle here is "technical" rather than "legal" .

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
              As an owner of a RV790 card, I'm delighted to hear that the obstacle here is "technical" rather than "legal" .
              I may be wrong here, but aren't the RV790 supported by the UVD code that is already released?

Comment

RV790 has UVD 2

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                I may be wrong here, but aren't the RV790 supported by the UVD code that is already released?
                Unfortunately, no it isn't. The current code only supports UVD 2.2 and later, whereas RV770/RV790 has the earlier UVD 2. The RV770 UVD firmware was pulled as soon as this became clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
                  Well I can confirm that we are still working on it, but can't say anything when or even if we are ever able to release it.

Cheers,
                  Christian.
                  Hi Chris,
                  Now that CIK and PM are out of the way, is UVD1 (rv635) also on your TODO list?

Pierre
                  Last edited by pvautrin; 26 June 2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pvautrin View Post
                    Hi Chris,
                    Now that CIK and PM are out of the way, is UVD1 (rv635) also on your TODO list?

Pierre

Yes and no

Well all the older chips (UVD 1.0 - 2.0) are pretty much the same, when we release something for UVD 2.0 (RS780, RS880, RV790) it probably will also work on UVD 1.0 (R6xx). So I'm pretty sure that when we get UVD 2.0 out we can also release the firmware for UVD 1.0 hardware and so get that working as well.

On the other hand the UVD 1.0 hardware generation was really really buggy, and I definitely don't have time to sort out all the different bugs and workarounds necessary to get it stable. So support for UVD 1.0 hardware will always be only best effort.

Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
                      Yes and no

Well all the older chips (UVD 1.0 - 2.0) are pretty much the same, when we release something for UVD 2.0 (RS780, RS880, RV790) it probably will also work on UVD 1.0 (R6xx). So I'm pretty sure that when we get UVD 2.0 out we can also release the firmware for UVD 1.0 hardware and so get that working as well.

On the other hand the UVD 1.0 hardware generation was really really buggy, and I definitely don't have time to sort out all the different bugs and workarounds necessary to get it stable. So support for UVD 1.0 hardware will always be only best effort.

Christian.
                      Better than nothing. Would love to see UVD on my 3870.

Comment

Working...
                      X