Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

Phoronix: Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

With Valve's Steam client and Source Engine coming to Linux in the coming months, we decided to check with Epic Games to see how Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux is coming along. After all, the game was released in November of 2007 and nearly three years later the client is still missing with few words having come from Epic Games or Ryan Gordon (a.k.a. "Icculus"), the well known Linux game porter that was contracted to port UT3 to Linux and has done previous Unreal Engine projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Epic Fail.

Comment

do these games continue to be any fun? I mean how much have things *really* changed from ut -> ut2003/ut2004 -> ut3?

Comment

Ryan Gordon ported Aquaria recently, saying that he "hasn't been working on any other exciting games or projects" is pretty rude.

Comment

very advanced Source Engine

It's a joke, Source Engine was advanced only once it was out, 3 yo Crysis engine is far more advanced in almost every aspect.

Comment

Steam ==>it's the same to UT3

Steam is NOT OFFICIAL !

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              very advanced Source Engine

It's a joke, Source Engine was advanced only once it was out, 3 yo Crysis engine is far more advanced in almost every aspect.
              Compared to what's currently available on Linux, it is
              Well ok there is Unigine...

Comment

So it simple means we havo to cough up our own games.

I have an idea, completely worked out on my head, from the story, the levels and the artwork to the available tech. It's fun, never been done, interesting, would work on a Radeon with the current Gallium tech, look good, is not an FPS and would not require a lot of work involving artwork. It could be of commercial quality and does not involve raytracing.

Sadly I am not experienced and currently in the midst of my exams...

Comment

I for one am glad they finally admitted it, though I wasn't holding my breath. I would have liked to see a legit reason why though, but I can understand NDA's. Fortunately when Steam/Source are released, I don't think anybody will care about Epic's Games.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    Ryan Gordon ported Aquaria recently, saying that he "hasn't been working on any other exciting games or projects" is pretty rude.
                    This. Aquaria is damn awesome, not considering an "exciting game" is just hilarious. He apparently also is involved with the open-sourcing of the other games of the humble-indie-bundle. At least that's what Wolfire's blog suggests.

Comment

Working...
                    X