KDE Plasma Next Getting Better Logos & Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
    Any links to either extensive screenshots or at least design mock-ups?
    I'm not part of the design group and they've only shared a few screenshots with the general public so far however the initial posts and follow-ups have indicated a complete break with oxygen to create a new theme for KDE.

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
    I realize the tone was a bit troll-ish but I'm simply one of the many people who think KDE's style looks absolutely terrible (I mainly have the DE and the various famous KDE apps in mind) but the tales of good, mature and clean code (to the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists on the GTK side of the fence) make me wish it had something resembling competent design.

Emphasis on the many I guess. I've seen quite a few KDE people reluctantly admit that the icons may not be the best but everything else is just fine which was IMO absurd.
    I've never understood this, but just what exactly do you think is wrong with the current style, give specific examples, and you might also want to try to join the design group to help them in their new styling.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Not quite. KDE5 doesn't exist. This is for Plasma Next.

What does that have to do with anything?

If they "dump Plasma", then they also dump the analog clock Plasma is the graphical UI of KDE, just like GNOME Shell is for GNOME. They can't drop it because otherwise there won't be much left.

The side bar is Dolphin, and it was there before Files even existed.
      It's a pig and those Plasma Widgets are poor stepchildren attempting to be useful ala OS X but often just massive drains on the system.

If you can't get an analog clock drawn on the screen I suggest they study Quartz Extreme and get the ability of Display PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        It's a pig and those Plasma Widgets are poor stepchildren attempting to be useful ala OS X but often just massive drains on the system.
        That would be true if plasma widgets were just tacked on top of an ordinary desktop. But that is not how plasma works. In plasma everything, including the desktop and panel themselves, is a widget. Further, widgets don't need to know or care whether they appear in the panel, on the desktop, on the screen locker, on a tablet, on a phone, or on a TV. You write a widget once and plasma makes sure it is handled correctly (although of course you can tweak it for specific form-factors if you want).

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          I'm not part of the design group and they've only shared a few screenshots with the general public so far however the initial posts and follow-ups have indicated a complete break with oxygen to create a new theme for KDE.

I've never understood this, but just what exactly do you think is wrong with the current style, give specific examples, and you might also want to try to join the design group to help them in their new styling.
          for me... fairy, shiny blue, too much blue and really bland/tasteless default widget theme. this theme on the other hand fixes 90% of my complaints. if they changed default widgets to some slick one, i'd be on board.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            for me... fairy, shiny blue, too much blue and really bland/tasteless default widget theme. this theme on the other hand fixes 90% of my complaints. if they changed default widgets to some slick one, i'd be on board.
            KF5 will have a brand new theme, saw some screenshots and pretty slick!

Comment

Working...
            X