Plasma 2 With KDE Frameworks 5 Looks Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    No, I'm 27 and from the US. But everything you just listed off I wouldn't consider good, they are mostly attempts at trying to clone the success of Pokemon to sell games and toys. Still, allot of what you have is rather creepy for a grown man to be watching...
    agreed other than Inyuasha and maybe Yu Yu Hakashu, which while Inyuyasha mediocre in quality wasn't for the purpose of selling stuff and is more like Dragon Ball or The Slayers.

I grew up on Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Ronin Warriors, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Basilisk, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z and Gundam: Wing, 08th MS Team, Char's Counter Attack, Stardust Memory. Started with DB at 7-8 then Akira at 10 then Ronin.
    Let's see... Robotech (The Macross season, not the latter two), Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Slayers, Magic Knights Rayearth, Ruroni Kenshin, Rune Explorers, Dai Guard, Tsukikage Ran (Ran is the best character ever created, seriously she's just awesome and not because of some super power or anything (other than skill she has no such thing) just on sheer personality alone), The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (Tylor is awesome too)....

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    You're obviously not in the USA, Kivada, or at least not in your 20s if you are... My Little Pony and some of the older "Kid" animes are making a come back with the teenagers / young 20s because most TV shows and most new animes are really terrible, so people are going back to the old ones like Yu-Gi-Oh, Inyuyasha, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, MLP, Sailor Moon and others just to reclaim their childhood and have a taste of GOOD animes.
    You call most of those good anime? Yeesh you were limited in your viewing. I mean Yu-Gi-Oh like pokemon and all shows in that vein were crap, and the Shojo you're listing doesn't qualify as good at all. I have nothing against Shojo and actually like it for the most part but at least go with something actually good like any of the CLAMP titles such as Magic Knights Rayearth.

If you want to try some actually good anime try some of the following: Carried By the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, Kara No Kyoukai, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Those Who Hunt Elves (Note that it is imperative that you never let someone walk in on you while watching this one, there's nothing bad in the show but unless you know the premise... well... they won't understand), Ghost In The Shell, You're Under Arrest (Only the AnimeEgo stuff ADV totally misunderstood the series and ruined it), Gunsmith Cats, Gunslinger Girls (haven't watched the anime yet but the Manga is good), pretty much anything by Makoto Shinkai (a man who almost singlehandedly made the anime movie: Voices of A Distant Star), Desert Punk, Wolf's Rain, Dirty Pair, Bubblegum Crisis, and Appleseed.

Also here let me introduce you to a company called Funimation they've currently becoming if they have not already become the largest publisher of Anime, except as a company they're one of the few good publishers. They actually for instance understand the internet and so they allow you to watch most of their catalogue free with ads and even allow you to watch shows that are currently airing right now in japan at the same time as it airs in Japan. http://www.funimation.com/videos/episodes
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 12 March 2013, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Nice.

This is like science. The scientists has figured out something. Now the engineers should figure out how to use it on real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        What year is your system? There isn't a GPU out on the market by 99.9999% of the market leaders that isn't OpenGL compliant. Offloading to the GPU for all these operations is exactly what the GPU is designed to do in its sleep. Freeing up resources for the CPU is just taking a cue from OS X and any other modern OS.
        Read my post. It is not just the hardware but also the driver. On hardware there is still some stuff around that can't really do newest and shiniest OpenGL 4+ or even 3. Furthermore there is still quite a bunch of hardware that does not have fully working drivers. And now look at the growing, not to say already vast ocean of embedded chips. There a good lot of them that will barely see any actually working driver. Imagination Technology anyone? And no, a blob that works on an - no, maybe just ONE - ancient kernel and an ancient X version does not count.

You are probably fine with a system using AMD (free or blob), nvidia or (genuine!!) intel (not the poulsbo shit). But apart from that chances drop. And especially "embedded" systems do not have fancy PCI slots where you can just exchange the GPU. No, all soldered in SMD size on a mainboard and you live and die with what is soldered there.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          Nice.

This is like science. The scientists has figured out something. Now the engineers should figure out how to use it on real world.
          Yeah, I'm really interested in the ability of Plasma2 to have different shells and seamless shifting between at runtime, there's a lot of cool stuff that that allows but what I really want is a Plasma2 shell that can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs because that's so awesome even if probably not that practical.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Yeah, I'm really interested in the ability of Plasma2 to have different shells and seamless shifting between at runtime, there's a lot of cool stuff that that allows but what I really want is a Plasma2 shell that can do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs because that's so awesome even if probably not that practical.
            Maybe not exactly FPS style, but it's something big corps were thinking about. IIRC Apple even filled some patent papers for cube-like 3D desktop with windows free-floating inside. With advanced controlers like kinect it even could make a sense for mediacenter and likes.
            Just think you could manipulate windows and it's content just like real objects with gestures of hands.

Comment

Seeing as "Maintainable" usually means "This user experience isn't broken enough, we need to start over from scratch". I see no reason why this will change anything. In a few years it'll be happening again, that or the walled gardens being created by Google, Apple and Microsoft will make Linux an impossibility.
              Rhetorical like this doesn't help make your case. "Maintainable" means "changing one thing doesn't break a lot of other random stuff". It means "it takes less time, effort, and coding to fix bugs or implement new features". The fact of the matter is that plasma can do a lot of stuff that would simply have been infeasible with the old system. There is no way they could have done something like the modern krunner, activities, many of the widgets (especially not in kicker), the netbook, media center, or tablet interfaces, etc. And even basic bug fixes ended up breaking other stuff in random and unexpected ways.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Frameworks5 is about moving as much stuff to the CLA-land known as Qt. That is as stupid as working for free on Mir. say no to drugs and say no to CLA.
                Who got issues due to a CLA? Noone as of today.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  Who got issues due to a CLA? Noone as of today.
                  Do you want to be the first?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    No,that's a lie.

And that's exactly what compositing is: Making the window manager run on the GPU instead of wasting the CPU for window management!
                    And when exactly (OpenGL composited) KWin offloading CPU for windows management under X? Since backing store is here, it uses more CPU cycles even for moving windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      agreed
                      You call most of those good anime? Yeesh you were limited in your viewing. I mean Yu-Gi-Oh like pokemon and all shows in that vein were crap, and the Shojo you're listing doesn't qualify as good at all. I have nothing against Shojo and actually like it for the most part but at least go with something actually good like any of the CLAMP titles such as Magic Knights Rayearth.[/url]
                      I've seen most of the stuff you listed, I only listed the stuff I was able to watch as a kid as that is what Ericg was implying was in his list. Nobody here had the internet at home when I was a kid, hell I was one of the only people that had a computer at home at the time, having dumpster dived and repaired a 286SX and a 486DX when I was 12. The VHS tapes where too expensive at $30 each at the Suncoast so we had Toonami at the one kid who's parents had cable TV with the package that had Cartoon Network and what little we could manage to agree on watching on school computers with incredibly an slow connection that half the time someone either killed the download or turned the machine off, they where setup so that they reverted back to a clean state at boot so nothing could be saved. None of the comps had burners or Zip drives and none of us could afford one at those times anyways. Only option was 1.44Mb floppy disks.

So yeah, as a kid our viewing options where limited, but you could find allot of really crappy animes on other channels that we could get with OTA or basic cable.

Comment

Working...
                      X