What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Dude, your ignorance is showing. Might wanna look into that. No, I'm not talking about uvesafb.

You're completely ignorant, and yet you feel you're in the position to call others "mentally deficient" and other colorful phrases. So yeah, I do call you a troll. Because it's what you are. You've got nothing. Except colorful expressions.

(cue another post with even more colorful expressions. come on, let it all out...)
    so what are you talking about? i'm talking about being able to alter things to suit what i want to do - not what some corporation says i should do

come on mr logic

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      so what are you talking about?
      I clearly said in post #64 that I've already covered this stuff before, so you should search the forums.

Comment

I clearly said in post #64 that I've already covered this stuff before, so you should search the forums.
        its terrible when you have to keep repeating yourself - enjoy your call of battlefield 5 and i hope you find happiness in your consumer life

EDIT: and please make the most of wayland - i'm sure it'll work well with those proprietary drivers

Comment

its terrible when you have to keep repeating yourself
          It really is. Because ignorant people like you keep spewing the same old stuff.

and please make the most of wayland - i'm sure it'll work well with those proprietary drivers
          But of course it will. When Wayland becomes the best tool for the job (right now it's far, far away from that), there will be proprietary drivers working with it.

Comment

It really is. Because ignorant people like you keep spewing the same old stuff.

But of course it will. When Wayland becomes the best tool for the job (right now it's far, far away from that), there will be proprietary drivers working with it.
            the point is that if everyone had your world view and used proprietary graphics drivers because they provide the best performance on call of battlefield peekaboo edition and give give openCL capability then wayland would never have been thought of

consumers use binaries - zealots and devs use source code

if you cannot grasp this simple concept then perhaps you should find a different hobby?

Comment

We've already covered that no, it's not that simple. It's not an either/or thing. But keep living in your rainbows-and-unicorns-land.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Yes, that's the key. One of the best ways to get money from customers is keeping them captive, not letting them choose later. It's like the first "free dose" from drug dealers, they make it easy to get in, but very difficult to get out. That wouldn't happen if people thought about long term.
                Yes indeed. Whilst Richard Stallman can be a bit radical (though his radical nature probably helps provide balance from the corporate radicals anyway) I quite agree with what he says in regard to schools and how Microsoft gets the software to them cheaply or even free and then breeds dependence. The whole idea of free software seems very compatible with education and learning, so it's a great shame more schools don't embrace it. Indeed, I've heard many cases where teachers do not know the existence of such things and instantly tell students that something "free" cannot be legal. Which is horrifying ignorance/lack of understanding IMO, although it's not entirely their individual fault.

Comment

We've already covered that no, it's not that simple. It's not an either/or thing. But keep living in your rainbows-and-unicorns-land.
                  isn't unicorn filled rainbow land the ultimate goal? unicorn filled rainbow land being a complete, fully functional and free ecosystem for all computing devices?

Comment

isn't unicorn filled rainbow land the ultimate goal?
                    It's a fairy-tale land that doesn't exist. Meaning your simplistic views only work in a fantasy world, not in this place we live in called reality.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                      Yes indeed. Whilst Richard Stallman can be a bit radical (though his radical nature probably helps provide balance from the corporate radicals anyway) I quite agree with what he says in regard to schools and how Microsoft gets the software to them cheaply or even free and then breeds dependence. The whole idea of free software seems very compatible with education and learning, so it's a great shame more schools don't embrace it. Indeed, I've heard many cases where teachers do not know the existence of such things and instantly tell students that something "free" cannot be legal. Which is horrifying ignorance/lack of understanding IMO, although it's not entirely their individual fault.
                      education is the key!

it is in the best interests of corporations to educate people as consumers

Comment

Working...
                      X