Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATi Catalyst crashes after 2 entrances into X.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't really be bothered with the whole quotewar thing but...

I just recieved word that my graphics card is integrated, so no replacing it.

FUCK
    MY
    LIFE
    SUCKS

*sob*

Comment

didn't he say that he played world of warcraft though? Is that really playable on the open source drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        on the galium3D driver,,
        I had no idea the Gallium3D driver was so far along! :O
        Ace.

How's the power management in it? Might have to go for it.

Comment

is 2.6.37 rc's + xorg-edgers all you need to try galium3d, or is mesa still default on ubuntu?

Comment

Just tried on maverick. 2.6.37-rc3 and xorg-edgers radeon driver.

I'm extremely impressed to be honest.. since my last testing with 2.6.36 some extremely annoying bugs have been fixed. I had problems with displayport (which I use a LOT), and it seems to be working 100% now.

That said, I couldn't get world of warcraft running. It starts up, I'm missing models in the main screen+character selection, and it crashed in world.

But I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on it. I think my test enviroment is gonna be using radeon for now. And I might just live in that enviroment during the work week, I've had some problems with suspend2ram on fglrx.

Comment

You may be running the "classic" Mesa driver rather than the "gallium3d" (aka r600g) version. Check your glxinfo output :

glxinfo | grep renderer (or just scroll through the glxinfo output)

You might have to change an environment variable to get the gallium3d driver variant, it's not the default yet.
              Test signature

Comment

If you want to try r600g, there is the xorg-edgers/gallium PPA:

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  You may be running the "classic" Mesa driver rather than the "gallium3d" (aka r600g) version. Check your glxinfo output :

glxinfo | grep renderer (or just scroll through the glxinfo output)

You might have to change an environment variable to get the gallium3d driver variant, it's not the default yet.
                  $ glxinfo | grep rend
                  direct rendering: Yes
                  OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  If you want to try r600g, there is the xorg-edgers/gallium PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon
                  That's the one I tried.

Comment

I guess the message needs to be updated.. should be r3xx-Evergreen...
                    Test signature

Comment

So... I decided to do it anyway. I dunno why. FGLRX failed on me again and I don't want that to happen at the exam, and also I have an Ubuntu install disc right next to me AND I realized I can just use the old kernel. Whoop-de-do.

I managed to install it and use it. I am now in 2.6.37-020637rc3-generic (the rc4 wasn't in the repo. The headers were, but the image wasn't. So... yeah)

I haven't seen any improvements at all though.
                      I understand I have to activate dynpm, but I don't know how to do it.
                      I also understand I have to somehow activate Gallium3D, but none of the packages have Gallium3D in their names. I am currently using MESA still, apparently, despite adding the xorg-edgers ppa.

Enlighten me, please.

This thread is turning out surprisingly good by the way. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X