Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome For Linux Arrives, In Dev Form

Phoronix: Google Chrome For Linux Arrives, In Dev Form

Google's Chrome browser was released for Windows last year, but they are now finally pushing out development builds of this unique web browser for Linux and Mac OS X. Linux users could previously try out the rough equivalent of Chrome via Google's open-source Chromium project, but this is the first time they are releasing a development version of the official Chrome web-browser for Linux. As is mentioned in the Chromium blog post, it's highly encouraged that those trying out Google Chrome for Linux are experienced users or developers, as these new platform versions are not yet stable enough for most users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Installing Google Chrome will add the Google repository so your system will automatically keep Chrome up to date."

Finally, a third party package you can install and keep up to date without rubbing your head, patting your belly, and dancing a jig.

Without proper apturl infrastructure built into ubuntu, more and more packages will modify /etc/apt/sources.list until it's just the accepted way of doing things.

Comment

that said. google chrome is as big a step as google earth or skype for linux. It will be the next proprietary app that will become very standard on many desktops.

Now if only google made video games .

-----------------------------

google chrome working A-OK on 64 bit for me

Comment

One thing I am a bit "shocked" about is, how fast Chromium already is. I've been using Epiphany 2.27 and Midori 0.1.7 as my primary browsers now, which use pretty much the same rendering engine (AFAIK Chromium is using upstream Webkit again). Yet Chrome loads certain pages *so* much faster. Try for example tomshardware.com -- for me this is a five-fold difference. Where's the big difference? Is the HTTP layer Epiphany and Midori use so slow?

Comment

I hope there is soon also a linux version of Iron, the "privacy enhanced" version of Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            I hope there is soon also a linux version of Iron, the "privacy enhanced" version of Chrome.
            just use chromium...
            as far as i know it doesnt have the homecalling features...
            im kind of hoping for a browser based on chrome's render engine with a qt4 gui that fits into your system unlike that ugly blue bar that looks like the original windowsxp theme!

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              that said. google chrome is as big a step as google earth or skype for linux. It will be the next proprietary app that will become very standard on many desktops.

Now if only google made video games .

-----------------------------

google chrome working A-OK on 64 bit for me
              Proprietary? Whatever, but it's open source If they chose QT4 probably many more Linux users will switch. We already have Gtk Firefox, so Gtk Chrome probably isn't interesting at all for KDE users.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                just use chromium...
                as far as i know it doesnt have the homecalling features...
                According to the Iron homepage it does have those "features".

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                im kind of hoping for a browser based on chrome's render engine with a qt4 gui that fits into your system unlike that ugly blue bar that looks like the original windowsxp theme!
                The linux port of Chrome uses GTK+, so the chance for having a Qt4 GUI is slim. But Chrome's render engine is WebKit, so you just have to use Konqueror (switched to WebKit backend) to get what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  Replying to myself: Actually there is one on the Iron homepage

Comment

The hugest problem with chrome is that no java + flash plugins are unusable. Tested it 5 min and removed it. I even tried to cp the flash plugin manually to the plugins dir, showed flash in aboutlugins but youtube did not work.

Comment

Working...
                    X