NVIDIA Continues Beating Other Vendors On OpenGL Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
    And the title is completely irrelevant when its a binary driver.
    Just because you don't like it, it does not make it irrelevant nor false information.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
      Well its probably wise not to rely to heavily on this graph while its interesting as far as I understand it the samples are far from a compliance suite. You would get a better picture running piglit and producing a graph from those results. Unfortunatly piglit doesnt run on Windows just yet but I believe this is one of the Google Summer of Code projects.

Edit: Although running piglit is not perfect either since it lacks tests for many of the newer extensions. I guess my point is while the suite gives a small snapshot of the current situation it doesnt give a complete picture.
      If anyone was actually interested in doing this I've posted some ideas and questions to the Piglit dev list: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/010765.html

Also I've posted a few ideas on my blog for some Mesa related projects (including this idea) that people might be interested in exploring. These are ideas that interest me but I dont think I'll ever have the time to dedicate to (considering my other open source contributions). http://www.itsqueeze.com/2014/05/thr...project-ideas/

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
        If anyone was actually interested in doing this I've posted some ideas and questions to the Piglit dev list: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/010765.html

Also I've posted a few ideas on my blog for some Mesa related projects (including this idea) that people might be interested in exploring. These are ideas that interest me but I dont think I'll ever have the time to dedicate to (considering my other open source contributions). http://www.itsqueeze.com/2014/05/thr...project-ideas/
        That's a really good idea. I'm sure the driver writers already have a good idea as to what drivers are capable of. After all, they have to test their drivers using some kind of in house software of their own. Testing for availability and speed of functions. Comparing Open to Closed drivers. Much like a browser check like this:

The HTML5 test score is an indication of how well your browser supports the upcoming HTML5 standard and related specifications. How well does your browser support HTML5?

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
          That's a really good idea. I'm sure the driver writers already have a good idea as to what drivers are capable of. After all, they have to test their drivers using some kind of in house software of their own. Testing for availability and speed of functions. Comparing Open to Closed drivers. Much like a browser check like this:

http://html5test.com/
          Yes I'm sure they are at least somewhat aware of the status of their drivers. The idea is to make this information easily obtainable and presentable to bloggers and websites such as Phoronix. The idea is that companys want to keep a good image, if you can point to a graph or some other simple metric they are less able to just ignore the problem like they do now when people just say the driver is not very good. Your example of web browsers is a great example. Before things like the acid tests and some of the javascript benchmarks everyone knew how bad IE was but it wasn't very easy to quantify how bad the situation was. Now all broswer makes try to make sure they conform to these type of tests.
          Currently OpenGL driver makes are not held to the same level of scrutinisation by the web community as browser makers are, I believe this is because its somewhat difficult to point to simple, freely available, stats and quality tests.

Comment

I'd love to see a site like this.

Have a mockup graph:

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              I'd love to see a site like this.

Have a mockup graph:

If all you wanted to do was graph success vs failure that would be very simple to do. Piglit already has the ability to build a html summary of the results. It does this using a couple of python scripts, it would be very easy to extend it to create a pie chart also.

Comment

Oh, the hard part and my point was accurate measurement of system crashes (bsods, the windows auto graphics driver restart, other crash failure modes).

Comment

G-Truc article linked in the main article misses one thing: development rate. MESA is, and stays the fastest developing driver that runs on ALL hardware vendors.

Comment

Working...
                  X