No announcement yet.

Alt-Tab Will Return To Wayland's Weston 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if you all remember, that before this "alt-tab", Weston got "expos?", and a long long time before that it got "super-tab" (super is the default "alt" key of Weston). In essence, this is a third different way of picking a new window to focus.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      So, now Weston is a "desktop system"?
      I can't image how thousand of end users can work on their "Weston desktop system" without Alt+Tab... oh, wait, maybe is just a compositor implementation of the Wayland's protocol, written for development, where Alt+Tab is a so critical feature that can wait the next release cycle without nobody care less.
      :-)
      No idea if it's a desktop system or not. Or what a desktop system is. I was reading the article and got the impression that you can't alt+tab out of full screen applications with Wayland. Which sounds ridiculous, because alt+tabbing is such an important thing that people must be able to do. It's taken for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        No idea if it's a desktop system or not. Or what a desktop system is. I was reading the article and got the impression that you can't alt+tab out of full screen applications with Wayland. Which sounds ridiculous, because alt+tabbing is such an important thing that people must be able to do. It's taken for granted.
        Wayland and Weston are different things. You can't alt+tab with Weston. You can with other compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Wayland and Weston are different things. You can't alt+tab with Weston. You can with other compositors.
          Different things yes. Wayland has nothing to do with this. Switching between apps/windows is purely a compositor feature.

Why are you saying such a thing about Weston?

Window switching by keyboard shortcut has been present in Weston since February 2011:

It was super+tab, not alt+tab, is that your point? Or did it not work with fullscreen apps?

In November 2013 Weston got exposay:

which is another way to switch between windows, initiated by keyboard, used by pointer.

If these things have bugs with fullscreen apps, please report those bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by pq__ View Post
            Different things yes. Wayland has nothing to do with this. Switching between apps/windows is purely a compositor feature.

Why are you saying such a thing about Weston?

Window switching by keyboard shortcut has been present in Weston since February 2011:

It was super+tab, not alt+tab, is that your point? Or did it not work with fullscreen apps?

In November 2013 Weston got exposay:

which is another way to switch between windows, initiated by keyboard, used by pointer.

If these things have bugs with fullscreen apps, please report those bugs.
            No, my point was that it doesn't matter at all. One should not look at Weston (at least, pure Weston) if one is not a developer looking for references or for a testbed, period. End users shouldn't care about what Weston is or is not capable to do, because it's not intended for them, but some people seem to forget in a daily basis about that.

Comment

Working...
            X