Ubuntu With Linux 3.16 Smashes OS X 10.9.4 On The MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your zealotry is sickening.

Everyone in a professional environment will say Linux or distro name. It's wrong to correct it and giving deference to GNU is unnecessary. Even if GNU is at the heart of every Linux desktop, there is no Linux desktop without Linux. I wouldn't call an Android x86 install running on a desktop "Android Bionic/Linux".

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD makes no sense either. I only see GNU trying to butt in. If somebody were to excise GNU from that distro or any distro for that matter, GNU defenders assume that the replacement would be something like Debian Replacement/Linux or Debian Replacement/kFreeBSD when I assume a replacement would not want such crazy naming. It is unfair to subject any kernel or user to this madness.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      Your zealotry is sickening.

Everyone in a professional environment will say Linux or distro name. It's wrong to correct it and giving deference to GNU is unnecessary. Even if GNU is at the heart of every Linux desktop, there is no Linux desktop without Linux. I wouldn't call an Android x86 install running on a desktop "Android Bionic/Linux".

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD makes no sense either. I only see GNU trying to butt in. If somebody were to excise GNU from that distro or any distro for that matter, GNU defenders assume that the replacement would be something like Debian Replacement/Linux or Debian Replacement/kFreeBSD when I assume a replacement would not want such crazy naming. It is unfair to subject any kernel or user to this madness.
      It's not zealotry. In a professional environment I use GNU Linux,or GNU. If you speak about Linux you can't know if it refers to Android, GNU, BusyBox, TIVO or whatever. There is no Linux desktop without Linux but there's GNU desktop without Linux.
      Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is not an attempt of GNU trying to butt in, it's a choice based on correct knowledge, a choice of the creators GNU system distribution. The only part of the name that can be deleted is Linux, kFreeBSD or the kernel you want. The system as a whole is GNU and even the kernel is made using GCC functions.

There's also the people who prefer to talk about Open Source software instead of Free Software. Pick your choice but there's only one that is truly correct. The other one is misinterpretation and not wanting to face the facts. Open Source Initiative was created because some people though that talking about something called "Free Software" would scare companies. That same people allow things like TiVoization. There's only a way and if you only convince people by technical prowess then you won't gain anyting. As easy they come they'll go and your system will lose support and you'll return back to the same crappy state of the art.

Comment

who cares?

who cares about the name? the gnu/linux "name" only exists because richard stallman, for marking proposes, even linus refuses this name, but who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          who cares about the name? the gnu/linux "name" only exists because richard stallman, for marking proposes, even linus refuses this name, but who cares?
          Yep, it's silly sidetrack, but one everyone is qualified to comment on.. like what colour a bike shed should be

Comment

cares linux trolls. But anyway, results are proportional to the hardware : osx - cpu - core i5 @ 1,3 ghz @ 2 cores, ubuntu 14.04 - core i5 @ 1,3 ghz @ 4 cores, ubuntu 14.04 + dev mesa & kernel - core i5 @ 2,6 ghz @ 4 cores.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
              cares linux trolls. But anyway, results are proportional to the hardware : osx - cpu - core i5 @ 1,3 ghz @ 2 cores, ubuntu 14.04 - core i5 @ 1,3 ghz @ 4 cores, ubuntu 14.04 + dev mesa & kernel - core i5 @ 2,6 ghz @ 4 cores.
              No, It's the same exact hardware, a Macbook Air.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                No, It's the same exact hardware, a Macbook Air.
                Well, I guess Michael messed up the Specs table then.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                  Well, I guess Michael messed up the Specs table then.
                  Well the difference basically is between how P-States exposes frequency information to user space and how other governors expose frequency information. AFAIR with P-States it exposes the turbo speed, whereas with other governors it exposes the normal upper operating frequency. (Note that that doesn't mean that other governors don't turbo)

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                    OS X is pretty, that's all.
                    Totally subjective. I don't like it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                      It's great when someone tries so hard to be anything but ignorant, and then ends up being totally ignorant.
                      Unfortunately, this is not a point at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X