Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    LOL yes michael do not have a time traveling engine
    I re-checked that. Official Catalyst 12.2 was released March 7. while the article dates 5 days later - so Michael had plenty of time to check 12.2 and the watermark issue and could have noted that in the article without re-doing all benchmarks or so.
    And while he is already reading this thread, he knows about the issue and still could update the article in this point.... would be nice. Just to even out the waves...

Comment

Originally posted by elmo23x View Post
      It does not worth to post my results around here when you just get ignored and insulted.
      You insulted Michael on the basis of ignorance. Why should he write articles when ignorant idiots like you insult him?

Comment

I will never get the time back from reading Q's insane rantings... but hell, I definitely enjoyed the first few posts, then it got annoying.

Good luck to our open-source devs during their code reviews. We support you 110% and I'll wait patiently for your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          We've already established that the 7970 doesn't have the watermark while the 7950 does. Moving on...
          My understanding was that the launch driver I linked to (8.291 IIRC) did not display the watermark on either part, and user posts seem to confirm that.
          Test signature

Comment

the release date of the article do not count the date of the writing count.

and he write it days before the release date.

you always have a lag between writing a article and releasing the article.
            I know that. Did you read more than the first sentence of my post? I suggestet to UPDATE this tiny thing in the article afterwards. We are not in printed press anymore, where something that was written can?t be updated.

Comment

its like the phoronix forum you can't update your forum posts because editing is deactivated after 30 minutes.

because michael prefer the old style "Printed press" way.

like it or not but its a valid way to go. other ways are also valid but the other ways are not michaels/phoronix ways.
              Ah, ok! Why didn?t you say in the first place?
              If that is your guideline, I respect that, even if it sounds a bit "old fashioned" for me. But that?s ok for me, I?m old fashioned with other things. It is just important to know such things, so that I can read phoronix articles in the right way. So thanks for the info - good to know.

make your own website and news side and brenchmark side and use your style i'm sure you will be happy!
              Thanks, I am. Already got my own blog since quite a time

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                Second thing is, that my 7950 worked also with 12.1, ....

Besides: I had an Nvidia GTX260 before and mainly switched to ati because of www.sebastian-siebert.de which wrote a very nice script for opensuse, that automagically re-builds the driver after a kernel-upgrade without any user-intervention. With suse-tumbleweed as a rolling distro and NVIDIA I hit the text-console almost every week and had to rebuilt myself...

Cheers, Tom
                As someone who switched exactly from gtx 260 to 7950, what were the changes you have encountered?
                2D performance under normal work desktop? 3D? Wine? Compositing(what WMs?)? Video acceleration? Energy drain load/idle? Do you have windows installed for gaming(if any)? OpenCL? Bugs in applications? Was change worth it? Was money worth it? Difficulties or quirks?

Thanks if you answer!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  As someone who switched exactly from gtx 260 to 7950, what were the changes you have encountered?
                  2D performance under normal work desktop? 3D? Wine? Compositing(what WMs?)? Video acceleration? Energy drain load/idle? Do you have windows installed for gaming(if any)? OpenCL? Bugs in applications? Was change worth it? Was money worth it? Difficulties or quirks?

Thanks if you answer!
                  Wow, many questions.
                  - 2D-performance: I use KDE and noticed no change in 2D performance, both cards are pretty fast with full effects/compositing under KDE. Only thing is that catalyst restricts my monitor to 60hz instead of possible 75hz. I don?t know if this was the case with nvidia also because I changed monitor (good old CRT 21" to LCD 27") and graphics-card at the same time, and at CRT the whole frequency thing is a completely other story
                  - Wine: I made no benchmarks, but wine works as before - I did not test 3D things in wine yet.
                  - Video acceleration works through vaapi via vlc 2.0 since some months - in xbmc directly through xvba - so there is also no big difference for me compared to nvidias vdpau
                  - OpenCL: don?t use it
                  - Win7: for gaming yes. superfast! a big update compared to the gtx260 and even highly overclocked more quiet with my gigabyte windforce 3 model
                  - EnergyDrain: don?t know how to measure that, but as win-gaming-performance, this is covered by all the benchmarks out there. To sum them up: idle-power-drain is much lower than with gtx260 (or any other current card not amd7000series). I assume this is also valid for linux? How can I test?
                  - bugs: none so far
                  - change: was worth it in respect of lower idle-powerdrain, lower noise, lower temperature at load and idle state and higher gaming-performance
                  - money: it may a bit too expensive right now, because there is no competition from nvidia right now (delayed kepler). The old GTX580 can?t compete in terms of power drain, noise-level. Only if you look only at perfomance-for-money the 7950 is too expensive. So if you want to save 50-80 bucks wait until Nvidia Kepler arrives... and maybe Kepler is even better, but then it is again quite sure, that the price will also be higher, I think
                  - difficulties: none

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

Thanks if you answer!
                    Wow, many questions.
                    - 2D-performance: I use KDE and noticed no change in 2D performance, both cards are pretty fast with full effects/compositing under KDE. Only thing is that catalyst restricts my monitor to 60hz instead of possible 75hz. I don?t know if this was the case with nvidia also because I changed monitor (good old CRT 21" to LCD 27") and graphics-card at the same time, and at CRT the whole frequency thing is a completely other story
                    - Wine: I made no benchmarks, but wine works as before - I did not test 3D things in wine yet.
                    - Video acceleration works through vaapi via vlc 2.0 since some months - in xbmc directly through xvba - so there is also no big difference for me compared to nvidias vdpau
                    - OpenCL: don?t use it
                    - Win7: for gaming yes. superfast! a big update compared to the gtx260 and even highly overclocked more quiet with my gigabyte windforce 3 model
                    - EnergyDrain: don?t know how to measure that, but as win-gaming-performance, this is covered by all the benchmarks out there. To sum them up: idle-power-drain is much lower than with gtx260 (or any other current card not amd7000series). I assume this is also valid for linux? How can I test?
                    - bugs: none so far
                    - change: was worth it in respect of lower idle-powerdrain, lower noise, lower temperature at load and idle state and higher gaming-performance
                    - money: it may a bit too expensive right now, because there is no competition from nvidia right now (delayed kepler). The old GTX580 can?t compete in terms of power drain, noise-level. Only if you look only at perfomance-for-money the 7950 is too expensive. So if you want to save 50-80 bucks wait until Nvidia Kepler arrives... and maybe Kepler is even better, but then it is again quite sure, that the price will also be higher, I think
                    - difficulties: none

Comment

its not my guidline its the micheael/phoronix guideline.
                      somehow i thought you must be a phoronix-guy having such insight..

michael really should write a disclaimer about that and post it in every article to make sure that the information in the article is only right in the "past"fixed by the date of the aricle.
                      the information can be wrong 1 minute after releasing the article!...
                      michael should really make clear that he do not edit his articles to fix the "Future" in the "Past"
                      A disclaimer would be nice.
                      Another way can be, not to alter the original text, but only to update him by adding some sentences at the very end under the title "update", "correction", "addition" or so. This way you get consistency and actuality at the same time. There also may be an "update" notification in the main-title.

Comment

Working...
                      X