No announcement yet.

AMD Releases ACPI Header For Open-Source GPU Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, if i understand this correctly it means that i can finally use my 6870 graphics card with the oss drivers without the fans blowing at full speed?
    Please, DON'T give me the suggestion for dynpm or low/mid profile. They all had issues last time i used it. I want dynpm to work without it putting a tornado in my pc case.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
      So, if i understand this correctly it means that i can finally use my 6870 graphics card with the oss drivers without the fans blowing at full speed?
      Please, DON'T give me the suggestion for dynpm or low/mid profile. They all had issues last time i used it. I want dynpm to work without it putting a tornado in my pc case.
      This is the first stepping stone to *fix* dynpm, but there is still work to do before it is end-user ready. So not yet, but hopefully soon a working dynpm can be made the default.

As for low/mid profiles, low does have some issues on some hardware, but mid should work on all hw since 2.6.39 so if you haven't tested it recently, you might want to give it another try.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        WHO CARES???
        0.0000000001% care about gaming, therefore NOT IMPORTANT.
        Originally posted by Gabe Newell View Post
        The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don?t realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior.

I'm not sure what to believe...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          WHO CARES???
          0.0000000001% care about gaming, therefore NOT IMPORTANT.
          If I read that correctly there is only a fraction of one gamer out there (approximately seven one thousandth of a gamer).
          Hyperbole is for demagogues, satirists and fools. Which are you?

Comment

Seriously though, there are people who use their computers for work.

It might be hard for some of our Workraft!111!! friends to believe, but they do exist!

And for them, decent 3d performance + stable 2d + decent powersaving is a godsend.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
              not really. If you go on winehq, you see that most people have issues gaming with amd cards, and the nvidia ones usually work fine.
              I've used linux for about 7 years or so and never played a advanced windows game via wine, although I used a Nvidia Ti 4200 as well some years. There are enough native games available for linux, no need for Wine. If you want to play games which are only made for Windows (or Mac) platform, why not just use this particular OS?

Furthermore the open driver for Nvidia cards is considerable worse than the open driver for Intel or Radeon cards.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                not really. If you go on winehq, you see that most people have issues gaming with amd cards, and the nvidia ones usually work fine.
                You are right that gamers primarily use nvidia cards but the PM issues with those cards with nouveau driver are just as bad as with the radeon and fglrx drivers. Maybe AMD driver bugs that got exposed by Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                  I've used linux for about 7 years or so and never played a advanced windows game via wine, although I used a Nvidia Ti 4200 as well some years. There are enough native games available for linux, no need for Wine. If you want to play games which are only made for Windows (or Mac) platform, why not just use this particular OS?

Furthermore the open driver for Nvidia cards is considerable worse than the open driver for Intel or Radeon cards.
                  That's because nouveau devs have no docs to work from, not even the PM documentation like what AMD's releasing for their cards. If nvidia provided some basic docs then nouveau could have been even just as good as intel and radeon

Intel have been putting a lot of effort into their driver as been seen lately...that's good too

Comment

Finally I can adjust brightness on my HP EliteBook 8460p with Radeon card. Thanks Alex!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Seriously though, there are people who use their computers for work.

It might be hard for some of our Workraft!111!! friends to believe, but they do exist!

And for them, decent 3d performance + stable 2d + decent powersaving is a godsend.
                      Absolutely. The vast majority of machines out there are NOT gaming machines, nor are they used even occasionally for games.

Having said that, aside from "decent 3d performance + stable 2d + decent powersaving", hardware acceleration for video decoding would also be nice. Intel's open source drivers have this, but so at least, far AMD/ATI programming specifications do not cover the UVD hardware, and so the Radeon open source driver does not support full hardware acceleration for video decoding. If proper power management is solved soon, then hardware acceleration for video decoding would be the only remaining area where the Radeon open source driver falls a bit short.

Comment

Working...
                      X