No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.0 Laptop Change Frustrates Some Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest idea ever! I remember going warwalking with the laptop running in my rucksack, logging GPS-position and access points. Nice of you notice at home that the device has been sleeping all the time (didn't happen to be, I've been using KDE ever since I started using linux).

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
      It's too glassy/glossy. It's slow with effects on. I am using FOSS radeon driver on ATI 4650 .37 kernel, and it's terribly slow. They are overdoing it with the K. The menu is useless. The plasmoids and the widgets and stuff like that are simply too MUCH! I am a coder and as much as I like the DE to be minimal, I don't want poor file managers and I want some advanced eye-candy. I use Gnome since the first day KDE4 came out and I'm satisfied. Themes look good, it's simple and beautiful. Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
      If I remember well... KDE4 allows you to install themes and disable specific effects......

Comment

Originally posted by Bitiquinho View Post
        If I remember well... KDE4 allows you to install themes and disable specific effects......
        Yes but all themes tend to be overdone. too windows 7 Aero.

Comment

I am not trolling. I use Linux exclusively, for personal and professional use. I use Gnome2 for a long long time now. But I don't want "netbook efficient" desktop on my 2x24" monitors! I want classic taskbar/desktop/icons/windows
          Then use the old panel for gnome 3.0 the panel is still there you don?t are forced to use gnome-shell. And I like a dynamic desktop instead of a static desktop like the old panel/destkop. Good themes will come, make your own css if you dont like the look of it right now. gnome 2.0 did also not look so good as gnome 2.28 do now...

Technicaly it?s a genious work. see gnome3.0 as a framwork, as git is like a filesystem. But you can use the gnome 2.28 build or the last build thats coming soon for another half year or even longer. give gnome a bit time. the point why I don?t agree (at least yet) was that kde 4.0 wasnt not even really stable and slow... that you can?t say about gnome 3.0. they come naturaly more features and maybe some design changes but to say it?s a fail because you are not willing to look over your horizon is a bit selfcentric conservative standing which I do not like much.

Like when you say to someone linux is free and has no viruses and such stuff, and they say to you but its different so it cant be good, I am used to use windows so nothing else can be good.

Comment

Yes but all themes tend to be overdone. too windows 7 Aero.
            I think there are good opaque/non-glossy themes for Plasma Desktop:

A textured plasma theme. It would really help if people could try it out and report all bugs Now on ghns!For a more opaque theme, turn off blur.For a bigger...

A simple plasma theme for FushigiProject.It's not complete, some svgz are air ones with only colors modified so credits for those to the Air plasma theme designers.For daily updates you can get...

and Air itself

Comment

Originally posted by Bitiquinho View Post
              I think there are good opaque/non-glossy themes for Plasma Desktop:

A textured plasma theme. It would really help if people could try it out and report all bugs Now on ghns!For a more opaque theme, turn off blur.For a bigger...

A simple plasma theme for FushigiProject.It's not complete, some svgz are air ones with only colors modified so credits for those to the Air plasma theme designers.For daily updates you can get...

and Air itself
              I've used some very nice simple themes in the past they're very nice. I do like the default themes kde 4.5 and 4.6 but default themes should idealy be simple. Something kde devs should change with a future verson.

Comment

_ epic fail _

Comment

What if you have a really shaky WiFi connection and a 17" laptop like me?
                  Am I supposed to walk around with the lid open just to keep it from suspending?

I see how this will bring better support for suspend/resume on many laptops, but I think a lot more will just look for a way to disable suspend instead.

Linux is all about customization and not having to feel locked out, but on the contrary this is exactly what they do here. This decision simply doesn't really have the Linux feel to it.

Comment

Retarded

Well thats dumb?

Comment

Also, QT apps in Gnome look good. Gtk apps in KDE look bad.
                      That is because Qt and KDE make a concerted effort to work well under Gnome, while Gnome does not make such an effort to work well under KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X