Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

Phoronix: A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

A number of new NVIDIA GeForce graphics card reviews under Linux are underway along with many more Linux GPU driver analysis articles, etc. NVIDIA has just sent over to Phoronix a number of new high-end graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will never understand why AMD doesn't send samples too
    Maybe because their proprietary linux driver sucks so much that they fear bad publicity
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Lucky you! I think the GTX 780 Ti isn't even supported on Linux, yet. At least the NVIDIA driver search doesn't spit out a compatible driver.

Benchmarks I'd like to see.

GTX Titan on high end AMD CPU and on high end Intel CPU. People say that it's better to buy an AMD CPU for your gaming rig since they cost 100 USD less than Intel and the CPU isn't that important. I think a 1600p benchmark on a high end NVIDIA card should clear that up. My guess is that on Intel hardware it will do much better.

I'd also like to see a SLI benchmark. The last benchmark I found was from 2007 on phoronix but other than that you don't find ANY information about how dual GTX 680s or a GTX 690 performs on Linux with the newest driver compared to Windows. I have been thinking about getting a second used GTX 580 which should be faster (if they scale well on Linux on high resolution) than selling my GTX 580 an buying a GTX 770 which would cost about the same.

Comment

Forget SLI on Linux for a few years.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Forget SLI on Linux for a few years.
          Can you back this up. The benchmark from 2007 actually did pretty well and drivers have come a long way since then. I have been googleing about this for an hour and really could not find any meaningful information other than a 6 year old benchmark.

Comment

Oh! I envy you because you have those cards!

>Any other special benchmark requests?
            Yes, Blender CUDA/OpenCL performance would be a very good benchmark!

Blender Artists is an online creative forum that is dedicated to the growth and education of the 3D software Blender.

You try different tile sizes, good one could be 256x256:

Also, the performance of multi GPU with and without SLI.

This benchmark would be very great if you do it!

Comment

I mean Blender "Cycles", of course.
              By the way, why is so short the time to edit a post?

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                Also, the performance of multi GPU with and without SLI.

This benchmark would be very great if you do it!
                The problem probably is that Michael doesn't have two matching cards.

Comment

Hey Michael, you can put the Windows drivers in the benchmarks too. It will be very appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Can you back this up. The benchmark from 2007 actually did pretty well and drivers have come a long way since then. I have been googleing about this for an hour and really could not find any meaningful information other than a 6 year old benchmark.
                    He is correct. Until nvidia starts developing SLi profiles for the linux ported games you won't see much if any boost in performance. Often it even ends up being slower then just the single card.

Comment

Working...
                    X