Chrome 27 Beta: ~5% Faster, New HTML5 Inputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    if you're on a desktop I'm sure it works fine but on laptops... OSS still doesn't support suspend or jack detection.
    I use it on both, my PC and laptop. I make use of a simple suspend script as described in Arch wiki. There is also some new suspend code written by a user but I've never tested it https://github.com/l29ah/proxyoss.

About jack detection I don't really know what's the matter there. Everything seems to work for me.
    EDIT: How can one check if jack detection works?
    Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 04 April 2013, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Here are very good articles comparing Linux sound systems:
      Are you serious? Both of those articles are outdated and the author is mostly clueless about the subject. Only good thing about the latter article is the comments where Paul Davis (dawhead, the lead developer of the Jack sound server and Ardour digital audio workstation) argues with Hannu Savolainen (the lead/only OSSv4 developer). There's also couple of comments from the profilic Linux kernel developer Theodore Tso. I can't imagine a single reason other than the support for some niche hardware to use OSS. If you have latency problems with ALSA then there's problem with your drivers.

although pulse works also on top of OSS I think
      In theory, yes. In pratise, no. The bare minimum support was implemented when the PulseAudio was first released; I don't think there has been any major work since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        If you have latency problems with ALSA then there's problem with your drivers.
        I have yet to re-test ALSA ( or PulseAudio or whatever DebianSid has now ) on my XonarDX since OSSv4 works as expected since day one. I switched since I got pops and sound stops when using the system as normal when sound was playing. Compiling/copying something in the background was painful.

But yeah development seems to have stopped since last year: http://opensound.hg.sourceforge.net/...und/opensound/

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
          But yeah development seems to have stopped since last year: http://opensound.hg.sourceforge.net/...und/opensound/
          I don't think it has (it's just terribly slow). OSSv4 is "semi-propietary" software; they only do seldom code drops. Here's the forum page for the latest release), people were asking for source code without an answer. It took them over two months to release it after the binaries were released.

Comment

I don't think it has (it's just terribly slow). OSSv4 is "semi-propietary" software; they only do seldom code drops. Here's the forum page for the latest release), people were asking for source code without an answer. It took them over two months to release it after the binaries were released.
            the git shows some action: http://opensound.git.sourceforge.net...ound;a=summary but I can't see those changes.

Anyway, the dreams ( http://is.gd/UaVN5t ) are ruined.

Comment

Out of curiosity; why would you even want OSSv5? ALSA has proven itself to be scalable enough to work on pretty much any kind of environment imaginable, it has quite incredible driver support (over 4000 chips) and it's part of the mainline kernel that OSS will never be... and it's actually collaboratively developed.

Comment

Out of curiosity; why would you even want OSSv5?
                Ask yourself why one switched in the first place. Read post #13.

Comment

Out of curiosity; why would you even want OSSv5? ALSA has proven itself to be scalable enough to work on pretty much any kind of environment imaginable, it has quite incredible driver support (over 4000 chips) and it's part of the mainline kernel that OSS will never be... and it's actually collaboratively developed.
                  If OSS wouldn't have been abandoned by the Linux kernel, the driver support would be on the same level. It's just a matter of contibutions and support and you should know that.
                  However of course it's Hannu's fault by making it closed source.

the git shows some action: http://opensound.git.sourceforge.net...ound;a=summary but I can't see those changes.

Correct. Development has moved to git.
                  Never heard of OSSv5 btw, interesting.. But they really have financial problems see http://web.archive.org/web/201210201...hannublog/?p=9

Are you serious? Both of those articles are outdated and the author is mostly clueless about the subject. Only good thing about the latter article is the comments where Paul Davis (dawhead, the lead developer of the Jack sound server and Ardour digital audio workstation) argues with Hannu Savolainen (the lead/only OSSv4 developer). There's also couple of comments from the profilic Linux kernel developer Theodore Tso.
                  Can't be that shitty if those people actually bothered commenting the article and have a discussion...

and it's actually collaboratively developed.
                  Hannu plans to move to GitHub. That should increase development I hope...
                  Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 05 April 2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

If OSS wouldn't have been abandoned by the Linux kernel, the driver support would be on the same level. It's just a matter of contibutions and support and you should know that.
                    One of the key reasons that ALSA has so good driver support is because it's extremely scalable. If it hadn't met the requirements for mobile use then Android (or anyother mobile distributions for that matter) wouldn't use it and would have written an alternative sound architecture instead (this was true for some hardware in the early days of Android to my knowledge). If it hadn't met the requirements of professional audio equipment then it wouldn't be used in electrical instruments, mixing consoles and so on either. If it hadn't met the needs of modern desktops... well the same story. OSS wouldn't magically be succesful nor would it necessarily have that good driver support even if it had remained in Linux kernel.

Can't be that shitty if those people actually bothered commenting the article and have a discussion...
                    Well correcting misinformation before it spreads too far kinda makes sense. It definetly doesn't make the original article good.

Never heard of OSSv5 btw, interesting.. But they really have financial problems see http://web.archive.org/web/201210201...hannublog/?p=9
                    Is there any more recent information on 4Front Technologies / OSSv4 than couple of articles from 2007 and 2009? Accroding to Linkedin Hannu Savolainen left 4Front Technologies in 2009. The latest article in their site is from 2008.

Originally posted by Licaon
                    Ask yourself why one switched in the first place. Read post #13.
                    Well wouldn't fixing the couple of issues in the ALSA drivers make more sense?

Hannu plans to move to GitHub. That should increase development I hope...
                    Source?
                    Last edited by Teho; 05 April 2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Only good thing about the latter article is the comments where Paul Davis (dawhead, the lead developer of the Jack sound server and Ardour digital audio workstation) argues with Hannu Savolainen (the lead/only OSSv4 developer).
                      Thanks for the info, just read through some of them, very interesting indeed. Especially the conversation between Hannu and Paul Davis.

Accroding to Linkedin Hannu Savolainen left 4Front Technologies in 2009. The latest article in their site is from 2008.
                      Hm, dunno. What I know is that Hannu is still in charge of the repository.
                      The latest official statements are maybe their annnoucments. The forum is still kind of active (support etc)...

Well wouldn't fixing the couple of issues in the ALSA drivers make more sense?
                      That wasn't my quote

Source?
                      I talked to hannu via e-mail about a month ago.
                      Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 05 April 2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X