Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Announces Plans To Abandon Flash On Linux

Phoronix: Adobe Announces Plans To Abandon Flash On Linux

Adobe has issued a statement this morning that they will effectively be abandoning Flash Player support on Linux. After Flash Player 11.2 they will no longer be providing updates for Linux users but just maintaining the 11.2 release. Google is expected to take over with a Flash Player implementation based upon a new API, but only for Google Chrome-based web-browsers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well this was kind of surprising... Lets hope this means that flash will die and be replaced by something better (and more open).

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      Well this was kind of surprising... Lets hope this means that flash will die and be replaced by something better (and more open).
      You haven't heard of Canvas?

Comment

I'm not surprised after them dropping Android and not even supporting Chrome on Android either

Comment

Good riddance

This will increase the pressure to switch to html5 <video>, and will improve browsers' support for it. Google will probably lead the way. Adobe's support for Linux had a third-citizenship status lately, anyway.

Comment

Bad news, my gf likes to play sushi cat / sushi cat 2... u_u

Regarding flash adobe should have been banned already, f.e. on sites like newgrounds, all content is delivered via flash, and flash requires latest version - means, your either have flash and get access, or you dont get access. Means destruction of basic internet principles and standards.

Only ones who made this happen are developers!! JUST STOP USING FALSH PLEASE!!!

Comment

Good riddance, too. flash and apple are two of the main reasons this planet sucks.

Comment

Great so we are forced to use Chrome on Linux if we want flash. What a croc...

Comment

Fuck you google, I will surely not use your browser because of that.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I think you've got it the wrong way round. Adobe are dropping Linux. Google have stepped up and said they'll support it using Pepper which any one else is free to use

Comment

Working...
                    X