Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPECViewPerf 10 Released For Linux

Phoronix: SPECViewPerf 10 Released For Linux

While there aren't many workstation OpenGL benchmarks available for Linux, the leading option is SPECViewPerf, which is developed by the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. SPECViewPerf has been around for years and is made up of various production-oriented tests from popular software programs in the real world. Among the programs these tests are based upon include 3DS Max, Maya, SolidWorks, and EnSight. The latest version of SPECViewPerf -- version 10.0 -- first shipped for Windows a year ago, but it wasn't until this morning that the Linux/UNIX code was made available.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: SPECViewPerf 10 Released For Linux
    The latest version of SPECViewPerf -- version 10.0 -- first shipped for Windows a year ago, but it wasn't until this morning that the Linux/UNIX code was made available.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12363
    Phoronix,

Please, do another test comparing the FireGL V8600 and the Radeon 3870, almost like you did two days ago, but with Vista and Linux for both cards: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...gl_v8600&num=1

If you cannot do it with SPECviewperf 10, at least update that one so we can see how the Radeon 3870 behaves and compares(!) under Windows!

As it stand I today have the impression that ATI focus on FireGL performance and that they currently don't want to improve the drivers too fast for Radeon so it is almost on par with the FireGL. The difference appears almost too large to be credible as it stands. Previous FireGL/Radeon card may have had similar results ( http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/ar...pecviewperf_81 ), but still it would be nice to rule out a poor driver effect.

So, I guess if the same or similar FireGL/Radeon difference is retained in Windows then it is the card difference we are seeing and not only poor drivers for the Radeon series.

It would be interesting to hear your view on that!

Comment

Don't know about most of the other programs, since Solidworks is the only one I use, but how is Solidworks ported to Linux?

AFAIK there is no Linux (or Mac for that matter) port for Solidworks, so how do they run it? Using Wine?

Comment

How do you get Specviewperf 10 to run on ubuntu?

To answer another post, the pro/e and solidworks programs don't run with the benchmark, it just simulates with the dataset file from the program.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
          As it stand I today have the impression that ATI focus on FireGL performance and that they currently don't want to improve the drivers too fast for Radeon so it is almost on par with the FireGL. The difference appears almost too large to be credible as it stands. Previous FireGL/Radeon card may have had similar results ( http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/ar...pecviewperf_81 ), but still it would be nice to rule out a poor driver effect.

So, I guess if the same or similar FireGL/Radeon difference is retained in Windows then it is the card difference we are seeing and not only poor drivers for the Radeon series.
          sabriah, not sure I understand your question here. For FireGL workstation products, we focus on performance with workstation apps. For Radeon consumer cards, we focus on performance with consumer apps (mostly games). Different workload, different design decisions and different optimizations . Radeon drivers will never be as fast with workstation apps, and FireGL drivers will never be as fast with consumer apps, although the performance difference is much more dramatic with workstation applications.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            sabriah, not sure I understand your question here. For FireGL workstation products, we focus on performance with workstation apps. For Radeon consumer cards, we focus on performance with consumer apps (mostly games). Different workload, different design decisions and different optimizations . Radeon drivers will never be as fast with workstation apps, and FireGL drivers will never be as fast with consumer apps, although the performance difference is much more dramatic with workstation applications.
            Hi Bridgman,

Thank you for the answer.

My concern was the lack of comparison between Windows and Linux on the Radeon 3870, i.e. whether there are differences between the two OS comparable to that found on the FireGL card.

I understand that there will be a difference for these workstation apps on different hardware, but my concern were the operating systems here.

I think it would be a relevant comparison.

Last edited by sabriah; 26 May 2008, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X