Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New R300 Register Allocator Is Still Being Developed

Phoronix: The New R300 Register Allocator Is Still Being Developed

Tom Stellard, the student developer who participated in last year's Google Summer of Code to improve the R300 GLSL compiler for the open-source ATI/AMD driver, is still around and contributing to upstream Mesa. Last month he announced his new R300 register allocator being ready for wider testing. He's now announced further improvements on this GPU register allocator for Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its nice with all the work being done, but isn't the performance of the R300 at an acceptable level now? Maybe focusing on code for newer chips would give more in the long run?

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
      Its nice with all the work being done, but isn't the performance of the R300 at an acceptable level now? Maybe focusing on code for newer chips would give more in the long run?
      At the moment, a lot of work is going into improving the core mesa functionality but using the r300-r500 chips. Some of the work is being done specifically for the r300 drivers, but a lot of it can carry over to benefit other drivers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        At the moment, a lot of work is going into improving the core mesa functionality but using the r300-r500 chips. Some of the work is being done specifically for the r300 drivers, but a lot of it can carry over to benefit other drivers as well.
        Yeah, but this work here cant right?

Comment

Yeah, but this work here cant right?
          I'm not familiar with the code itself, but I'm guessing no. It may be useful in optimizing register allocation in general, but it might also only work for r300.

Comment

Good grief. Stop complaining about what other people choose to spend their free time on.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              its logical to extra support r300 because r600 customers can install the catalyst.
              Yes exactly.

But... I have an HD5770, and I REALLY don't want to install Catalyst. I think I might do it for a little while though, just to play the new Frozenbyte Humble Bundle games.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                Good grief. Stop complaining about what other people choose to spend their free time on.
                This is one of the "quirks" of open source IMO. In a world where features & quality is all that matters you simply cannot treat parts of the infrastructure as "hobby projects". Of course you cannot force people to work on certain things so....

And yes you can always install a blob but FOSS needs to have a feature complete graphic stack at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  This is one of the "quirks" of open source IMO. In a world where features & quality is all that matters you simply cannot treat parts of the infrastructure as "hobby projects".
                  It will always be a hobby project as long as it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                    I am not complaining about his work...

Comment

Working...
                    X