No announcement yet.

AMD Marketing Manager Mentions Linux & Mantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mantle is still not open, is it? 12 Months in Linux world is not really much. Its about twice the half-value time of Mark Shuttleworths memory.
    so unless they dont open things up for mesa i wonder if people will really be seing any mantle at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Nvidia + Superior Drivers > AMD + Mantle

Mantle only makes sense at low to mid range performance when CPU power is a factor. When you've got a decent CPU (say >= sandybridge i5), Mantle doesn't really make sense. What does make sense is ditching AMD and their crappy drivers and going Nvidia.
      [ ] you got the point what mantle is about.
      [ ] you know the problems with opengl and why catalyst drivers were bad in the past (14.6 are definetly fine).

Comment

wait and see...

We'll have to wait and see
        Salut,

I've been waiting since I got my HD4850...
        I've been waiting since I got my HD7850...
        ...and I am still waiting to see.

Then, I bought an nvidia gtx760 three month ago & guess what??
        I plugged it, I installed the blob driver (no real alternative currently) and since then... I can play, I can watch my movies properly and so on.

So, why should I still care about AMD ATI RADEON's (whatever you call it) possible futur hardware/software product???

If that company want to get more customers or even just keep them, why doesn't she make it real?

Nvidia, Intel, Valve...did and still do.

I am fed up waiting, wishing, hoping... Stop promessing, just do it and shut your mouth until then!

May be, I said may be, I'll reconsider my position about their products if it happen one of these days but I won't wait anymore.

a+
        Deb[NOT]cool
        Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Eeee. We talk about high end gamers here. Advising them to buy high end GPU lineup is... normal.
          (And its segment where You have 2 lineups to choose from really)
          I wouldn't call r9 270 high end.

Comment

R9 is the 'performance' series, which is aimed at high-performance gamers. R9 270, AFAIK, is a rebranded Tahiti/HD7970, which was the high-end card of the previous desktop graphics generation.
            Anyone who does not play 'AAA' games at >1080p doesn't need the horsepower of an R9.

Comment

Just make up your freaking mind already AMD. Btw they still haven't released any documentation for Mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                R9 is the 'performance' series, which is aimed at high-performance gamers. R9 270, AFAIK, is a rebranded Tahiti/HD7970, which was the high-end card of the previous desktop graphics generation.
                Anyone who does not play 'AAA' games at >1080p doesn't need the horsepower of an R9.
                Well, you certainly are up to date with amd marketing speak. But a card that I can get for 130-140 ? here, is as mainstream as it gets imho. So lets agree to disagree here.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                  So AMD is really, really, really bringing HSLS to Linux?

LOL.

And PR person gloryfing non-existent product which will be targeted to highly vocal and somewhat more knowledgeable audience.

LOL.

Either somebody will get fired, or Mantle in fact is being worked on.
                  Are you per chance talking about HLSL?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Just make up your freaking mind already AMD. Btw they still haven't released any documentation for Mantle.
                    With respect, *our* plans aren't changing, it's just the gossip and rumors that are flapping around wildly.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                      Well, you certainly are up to date with amd marketing speak. But a card that I can get for 130-140 ? here, is as mainstream as it gets imho. So lets agree to disagree here.
                      OK, I just checked, and yeah, you can get a 270X with memory factory-OC'd for 160? ... I just figured, because AMD sells two lower lines of dGPUs ... well, then the question becomes: who buys that R5 and R7 shit? If you just want to watch videos and maybe play a few classic games, an APU with 'R3' integrated GPU would suffice, right? What is the market? Ripping off grandmas who think they're doing their gamer grandchildren a favor by giving them one of them fancy graphics thingies?

Comment

Working...
                      X