Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally, Team Fortress 2 Benchmarks For Phoronix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    The games that have picked it over competing engines. It's literally that fucking obvious.
    Browse and find games created by DarkPlaces engine at ModDB.

Tell me now, what games there are worth a damn compared to games of similar scale, number of devs etc.? Why is it not more popular then so called similar engines?

Again, it's like I said previously, it's like the complete lack of open source professional content creation tools. Whiny people like yourself would rather expound the virtues of F/OSS instead of looking at what the pros are doing and copying it until there is nothing left to copy and you can start innovating.

I want things to progress to greatness, you want things to stay the same so they can wither and die.
    I had thought that you are actual developer or FOSS contributor. If you had literately destroyed Dark Places with technical arguments i would be cool with it. In fact if they were really good i would save the page to my hard drive.

Do you write PR for some company because you sure have talent for that.

This is my last response to you since i dont think i can gain any knowledge from you.

Comment

No more is necessary when talking about the OSS FPS titles, they aren't worth keeping around. If you can't see that you have not played ANY closed source freeware FPS games in the last decade. Crap games like GunZ are better made then the OSS titles.
      Well, you clearly never played an OSS FPS title. Also, it's "than", not "then" in your first sentence. Also, gameplay. TF2 isn't any funnier than Red Eclipse or Xonotic IMO, and I play all three.

Just look at what is being rendered versus the framerate compared to professionally made games. The quality and optimization just isn't there.
      DP is a bad example at this; pick an engine like Cube 2 (Red Eclipse or Tesseract) instead. Oh and, if your maps are well done and optimized, you can still expect very good framerates.

So yeah, your eyes and frontal lobes, you should try using them some time instead of praising that which is just a clone of a clone of a clone just because it's open source. When all things are near enough to equal, then yeah, go open source, but when the OSS product has been out for a decade and is STILL YEARS behind what is given away for free there is something inherently wrong with the OSS product.
      Programming isn't easy.

Tell me now, what games there are worth a damn compared to games of similar scale, number of devs etc.? Why is it not more popular then so called similar engines?
      FOSS hatred by people like you.

Again, it's like I said previously, it's like the complete lack of open source professional content creation tools. Whiny people like yourself would rather expound the virtues of F/OSS instead of looking at what the pros are doing and copying it until there is nothing left to copy and you can start innovating.
      Today, Blender is recognized as a professional content creation tool, and it is open source. Also, why don't you copy the professional software's features yourself?

I want things to progress to greatness, you want things to stay the same so they can wither and die.
      Have fun upgrading your proprietary "professional" software.
      Last edited by Calinou; 22 July 2013, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Well, you clearly never played an OSS FPS title. Also, it's "than", not "then" in your first sentence. Also, gameplay. TF2 isn't any funnier than Red Eclipse or Xonotic IMO, and I play all three.

DP is a bad example at this; pick an engine like Cube 2 (Red Eclipse or Tesseract) instead. Oh and, if your maps are well done and optimized, you can still expect very good framerates.

Programming isn't easy.

FOSS hatred by people like you.

Today, Blender is recognized as a professional content creation tool, and it is open source. Also, why don't you copy the professional software's features yourself?

Have fun upgrading your proprietary "professional" software.
        Wrong, I've played them all, they are all the same lame ass clone of Quake and Unreal Tournament they've always been. Nothing new, nothing interesting to see. The only good games I've seen in the OSS world are still WIP games like NAEV and FlareRPG.

Well, no shit sherlock, programming is hard, it is so hard that all of the FOSS FPS titles are clones of Quake with no real difference between any of them? Theres plenty of them, yet if you've played one you've played them all, you've got nobody to play them with. Since anyone that wants to play that crappy kind of arena shooter just plays one of the dozes of freeware FPS shooters because if they wanted the Quake experience they'd just play QuakeLive.

Hatred of FOSS? You clearly don't know who you are talking to, I've run almost exclusively FOSS for the last 15 years and have switched near 100 people over to using Linux boxes over the years.

Blender is the only one, it doesn't compete with the likes of Nuke though. GIMP is only where Photoshop was as far as tools around a 8 years ago, yet still lacks things like CMKY color.

Show me the OSS equivilent to Pro Tools or Logic for audio work, Final Cut or Avid for video work. You can't because they don't exist. The closest thing for video is Cinerella and it's as unstable as a sealed cardboard box full of cats with a few 1" diameter holes in it.
        Last edited by Kivada; 22 July 2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Michael is also not the only one that uses PTS. It would be a valuable feature for many people.
          In other words, you're asking him to not do any benchmarks?..

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            In other words, you're asking him to not do any benchmarks?..
            No of course not. He can continue doing exactly what he is doing, I'm just asking for some benchmarks of actual gameplay too. Or at the very least the ability to perform such real world gameplay benchmarks myself within PTS.

Let's face it PTS is awesome. It's graphing, hardware monitoring support is great. Now it just needs the ability to benchmark games as they are played. The ability to collect real world data during runtime.... It seems obvious to me.
            Last edited by duby229; 22 July 2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Theres plenty of them, yet if you've played one you've played them all
              Well, to be fair that kind of applies to most FPS games in general...

Comment

Of course you can repeat it. The data you collect though won't be comparable to the last run. And THAT is the point. The data you collect is representative of THAT run. period. In this way the data collected is representative of what you actually did during that run. A.K.A.... It's real world data. It's not artificially limited by a timedemo.

EDIT: Benchmarking is not -at all- about predicting future results. It's all about collecting current real world data. The environment that is being benchmarked should as closely as possible represent real world usage. A timedemo does not do that.
                Head. Meet desk.

Ouch. It hurts it's so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Head. Meet desk.

Ouch. It hurts it's so stupid.
                  If you are unable to understand why some folks might be interested in benchmarking the games they play as they play them.... Well.... umm.... Sorry?

Comment

If you are unable to understand why some folks might be interested in benchmarking the games they play as they play them.... Well.... umm.... Sorry?
                    You said timedemo's are not accurate representations of real world usage....except if you have ever used a timedemo before in the Source engine, it records all events that happen up to when you stop the timedemo recording...then when you run the timedemo it will replay those 'real world' events exactly every single time. That's clearly an accurate representation. Just join a 24-32 man TF2 server and play as scout or soldier and run around killing people as usual business...you'll have a perfect timedemo for benchmarking purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      ...Said no one ever....

Comment

Working...
                      X