New "NV30" Nouveau Driver Still Causes Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Without any logs (I'm not even going to mention bugzilla) it's not bug reporting - it's just bitching

It's just a cheap way to get click revenue
    Captured system logs are available via OpenBenchmarking.org.

Besides mentioning it on Phoronix, I also usually will ping Martin Peres or others on IRC when I spot something right away. BugZillas don't work for me due to lag time, etc. Unless they happen to be on IRC that instant with something in mind to try or check on, that's the only way it works out for furthering the bug testing/exploration process. As soon as my testing is done for whatever article is being worked on, the systems are almost immediately reworked to begin testing for the next article with either software and/or hardware changes so confirming a fix or change in behavior doesn't work out well.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      There is a public bug-tracker, where you can post useful bug-reports without causing demotivation and irritation.

So, what about a hardware-compatibility page/wiki, instead of some random articles without any in-depth information?
      This would provide some real value to people interested in switching their graphic drivers.

For an phoronix-outsider (like me) it seems phoronix is trying in cases like this to generate news when there is none to catch the eye of visitors, in the hope to generate ad-revenue.
      See my previous post about why the BugZilla, etc don't usually work. BugZillas also don't generate income.

Hardware compatibility page/wikis don't generate enough interest level or page impressions.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        See my previous post about why the BugZilla, etc don't usually work. BugZillas also don't generate income.

Hardware compatibility page/wikis don't generate enough interest level or page impressions.
        This really is the attitude I've come to expect from you Michael

Yes bugzilla doesn't generate income - it does however solve the problems you so much like to complain about

You already have 90% of the information required for an excellent bug report in bugzilla. So why not focus some effort in updating the PTS to submit that directly to bugzilla - Gentoo's flameeyes has done something similar for his tinderbox. If you did you could genuinely say you're giving back to the community

Currently you're re-post blog entries, git and change logs, mailing list posts and shit (or should that be shi?e) loads of graphs usually without much, if any, interpretation. You're repetitively taking cheap shots at all the real hard work going into making OSS better for everyone

There's been a few times when you've posted completely incorrect information and you don't update or edit your "articles" to reflect this or apologise to the developers you've trounced

I wonder how much trouble those developers got in when you announced to the world their plans to use OSS drivers on every platform before they even gave their presentation - did you even consider that you might have single handedly derailed their efforts?

Everyone is entitled to make a living but you make the reporters of New International look saintly - maybe you should consider running Phoronix part time if that means you can retain some level of integrity
        Last edited by FireBurn; 23 April 2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: Grammar and punctuation

Comment

Michael, the problem is that you are continually and consistently shitting on open drivers. Regardless of what happens, you inevitably conclude that Mesa is shit, worthless, hopelessly behind and that the developers are useless.

With other projects, like Wayland or Clang, you are full of praise. When wayland manages to not lock up, you praise it as the future, the successor to X, the best thing since sliced bread, and the only way forward (tm). When Mesa achieves 80% performance of a blob, you call it hopelessly outdated, years late, too far to catch up, etc. It's ridiculous. If you applied your Mesa attitude to Wayland, Clang, brtfs, Unigine, or some other pet project of yours, it would make for very amusing articles.

At the moment, it's "Mesa can only do OpenGL3, and there is still OpenGL 3.1, 3.2. 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, etc, they are hopelessly behind and a pile of steaming shit", which is then followed by "Wayland does a Hello World! This is a huge milestone! It's replacing X! Daffodils! A tiling window manager OMG!!!! It's already better than X, which only has 143224 tiling Window managers! Such progress!"

It's getting silly and tiring. How about simply posting benchmarks (make sure you do them right), and then let the readers decide whether full OpenGL 3.0 support out of the box is a steaming pile of shit or not. At the and of the day, Mesa can run 99% of all software ever released for Linux, most of it with acceptable performance, and Wayland, well, can't.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            Wow this Michael guy is a fucking cunt.
            is there a google+ style +1 button?

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              is there a google+ style +1 button?
              Best. Comment. Ever!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                At the moment, it's "Mesa can only do OpenGL3, and there is still OpenGL 3.1, 3.2. 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, etc, they are hopelessly behind and a pile of steaming shit", which is then followed by "Wayland does a Hello World! This is a huge milestone! It's replacing X! Daffodils! A tiling window manager OMG!!!! It's already better than X, which only has 143224 tiling Window managers! Such progress!"
                I lol'd because this is so true. Still, if people don't like what Michael has to say they should just stop reading his site.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I lol'd because this is so true. Still, if people don't like what Michael has to say they should just stop reading his site.
                  It's our form of bug reporting

Comment

does this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...e354a49f3b013f
                    fix the problems? when do you have another oldies benchmark planned?

Comment

Noveau driver in 3.7.x kernel has problems with NV30

This is an old thread - but the NV30 functionality with the nouveau took a step back with the latest 3.7.x kernel (it worked better on the 3.6.11 kernel).

I wrote a bug report here on it : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60516

Comment

Working...
                      X