Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Announces Super-Fast Tegra K1 ARM SoC

Phoronix: NVIDIA Announces Super-Fast Tegra K1 ARM SoC

NVIDIA has kicked off CES week by announcing their latest Tegra ARM SoC, the Tegra K1. The NVIDIA Tegra K1 is a killer SoC with custom 64-bit design and a Kepler-derived graphics processor with 192 GPU cores...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia was also supposed to be getting into phones with a light version of the T114 Tegra 4. The phones were also to promote DirectStylus to take Samsung Note 3 range but at a much lower price point.

Comment

"64-bit dual Super Core CPU" -- marketing talk much?

Comment

I really love what i saw.
        But..
        5W power consumption.

Good luck nvidia in trying to put something live this in any tablet or phone.
        Tegra 4 had 1 watt power consumption and i didnt saw to much of them on the shelfs, to be honest, i didnt saw any Tegra 4 SmPhone or tablet unless their shield lol.

Even if they remove some specs to it to reach the power envelope to a tablet it is going to remove a lot of power to it, and then it will be compared to what?

Comment

Looking forward to details on their Transmeta-like ARMv8 core.

Comment

Did anyone else see the comment about Nvidia porting Michael's software for him already? Talk about an honor.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
              "64-bit dual Super Core CPU" -- marketing talk much?
              I was thinking the same thing.

Either way, this K1 seems pretty impressive. It looks like Nvidia intends to obliterate the competition in GPU performance. I'm just wondering how power efficient this will be. Nvidia is notorious for getting carried away with performance, making their products run hotter and more power consuming than ideal. I think they learned their lesson with the GTX400 series but ARM is so much more "puny" than what they're normally used to that they probably don't realize that every additional watt makes a huge difference for phones. If nvidia isn't checking the power consumption of these, then these CPUs are only going to be ideal for tablets, smart TVs, and servers.

Comment

Is this Tegra 5 or is it something else?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Did anyone else see the comment about Nvidia porting Michael's software for him already? Talk about an honor.
                  I'm not really surprised. Michael has been recommending linux users to nvidia for years and has repeatedly proven how their closed source drivers are so good that they sometimes outperform Windows. Michael also rarely seems to have complaints about nvidia products. While phoronix is relatively small, there aren't many websites where nvidia is #1 in most tests, so it'd be stupid of them to not do favors for Michael. Despite all of this though, I appreciate that Michael isn't completely biased towards nvidia, and seems to praise AMD's open source efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    It's nice, but if you look at it from a practical standpoint it's not much work, after all we are talking about arm cores running linux and pts already runs on arm.
                    I'd be a lot more interested if they contributed some cool benchmarks and demos.

Comment

Working...
                    X